Author Topic: Medium Eye Relief scopes....who makes them?  (Read 830 times)

Offline kombi1976

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Medium Eye Relief scopes....who makes them?
« on: August 07, 2006, 05:01:53 AM »
I'm buying a Martini Cadet in 30-30 Ackley Improved and want to scope it but the top eject nature of Martini actions means a MER scope would avoid a lot of problems.
Can you guys tell me who makes them and which particular models they are?
Or conversely should I be getting a LER/pistol scope?
I'd rather have the scope as close to the action as possible and pistol scopes tend to have a 18" eye relief.
8)

Cheers & God Bless

.22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 NE 3"

Offline bluebayou

Re: Medium Eye Relief scopes....who makes them?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 02:51:04 PM »
I don't know how much you are spending but the Bushnell Banner 71-3947 is pretty nice for shotguns.  http://www.bushnell.com/products/riflescopes/specs/71-3947.cfm  Do you need more eye relief than that? 

Leupold makes the  58810.  It is an FX-II 2.5x28 with 9 inches of eye relief. 

I haven't looked through any others that I remember.  Big price difference with these, but I won't touch the old Leupold arguement.

Offline SeaBass

• Avid Poster
Re: Medium Eye Relief scopes....who makes them?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 06:45:59 AM »
I have the above mentioned Leupold mounted scout style on my Win 94.  It doesn't mess up the balance much and is very quick to bring to on target.

When I decided to go with a scout setup on my Win 94 I looked at a lot of options.

From what I could find Leupold makes the only quality scout scope out there.  It is the only way to go.

Pistols scopes have too much eye relief and most or all other scopes don't have enough.  Just measure from where you eye is to where the objective will be and you will see 6" is probably not enough.  Even if the Bushnell had enough eye relief it is kind of big for your application.  Scout scopes need to be small and light. 

Unless you really want more magnification, I would go with the Leupold.