Author Topic: Need help on calibers  (Read 721 times)

Offline Docsmith45

• Trade Count: (0)
Need help on calibers
« on: August 09, 2006, 05:16:15 PM »
I am planning to order a couple barrels.  I have a Handi action crying for some new calibers.  I am pretty sure I want a 204 Ruger and have been questioning what other barrel I should get.  I already have a 223 and 357 magnum.    I have considered 243, 22-250 and 22 hornet.  Most of my shooting is at prairie dogs and paper.   This rifle will receive a new custom stock in a year or so.  All advice is welcome.

Doc

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Need help on calibers
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 05:32:48 PM »
Everyone needs a .22 Hornet and a .45-70, both can be a lot of fun on PDs, someone here actually shoots PDs with their .45-70, both are very accurate calibers in a Handi!!! ;D They're both fun calibers just to shoot. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 12:43:45 AM »
The 204's are great barrels. Mine shoots awesome, always under 1/2" when I do my part at the bench. it's seems to me to be one of those inherently accurate rounds. It's a lot more economical to reload for it, and the bullet selections are getting better and have some great BC's. Ammo isn't very expensive, around $14 a box, but that adds up very fast.
A good 24" Bull Barrrel 243 Ultra is also a great choice. There's just so much you can do with a 6mm. It's versitility is excellent.
22Hornet? I haven't owned one, not yet at least. Loads of fun and a great cartridge if you want to stretch out a can of powder from what I have heard.
-Aaron

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 05:10:01 AM »
I love my hornet and 25-06.

Offline sparkyc2

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 06:09:39 AM »
OK, when I get in this situation I just work hard to buy them all!   Seriously, if you reload go for the 204, it's great!   Hornets are fun but more difficult to reload, cases can be a little finiky.  In the field Hornets are great, prairie dogs beware!  The 24's, 25's and 28's all shoot very well, pick your poison.   Big boomer...go 45-70, its a great cartridge, easy to load and darn fun to shoot....makes stuff hump-up when hit.   Just 5 more barrels, no problem. Eh?   Good luck with your selection.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 08:30:43 AM »

All of your choices sound good...I haven't owned a 204,223,or 22-250 Handi...but would love to...I have owned a 243 Bull barrel...and it's a 1/4" shooter with the right bullet...and that's the 55grain Nosler SBT......I sold it to mitchell who was wringing it out for all it is worth before heading off to the service...and he really likes it...and it would shoot 1/2" -3/4" groups with the 95 grainers too for me...so it  makes it a dandy deer/varmint/paper puncher for him...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 09:36:34 AM »

Doc smith Welcome to the forums, If I were you, I'd get at least 2 or 3
 actions Not stay with one action, because if you just have one and some
 thing goes wrong, your outa luck, I have 6 actions and 9 nine barrels.
 Some pn here that got more than that! Ha ! You are starting to becoming a
 Handi-holic, You can not have just one. Marv.

Offline Docsmith45

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 01:58:03 PM »
Gentlemen.  Thanks for the advice.  I do have the Handi-fever pretty bad.  Used to own a Buffalo Classic but shoulder surgery made me sell it to my brother.  I still get to shoot it once in a while.  Right now I'm thinking 22 Hornet and 204.  Can't have too many varmint rilfes.  I am fortunate in having some decent PD shooting within a three hour drive.  Monday or Tuesday ti willbe going off for two new barrels.   ;D

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 02:15:55 PM »
The .204 sounds like a fun caliber and so dose the .22 hornet. I have a .243 standard barrel and she shoots real good along with my .223 ultra. Any of the calibers you mentioned sound real good.

John

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 06:30:56 PM »
204 for PD's & paper if most paper is under 4-500 yds.

If it is less for PD's & alot of paper over 500 yds, then the 243.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline coldmold

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 09:48:31 AM »
 ::Dog gone it doc. If you go and get a couple of new barrels then you just know I am going to have to. You know that I am almost in rehab for being a handiholic. heh heh .

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 04:55:28 AM »
You will like the 204 (I like mine), I am adding hornet to my cabinet this week too.  If you reload start with the 39 sierra's and h4895 it's a safe bet you would find a good load with that bullet.  Mind you all of the heads I have tried have produced sub moa groups.
The second mouse gets the cheese