Author Topic: Where did all the hero's go?  (Read 549 times)

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
Where did all the hero's go?
« on: August 16, 2006, 02:28:18 AM »
Just musing on the way to work this morning and realized the old silver-screen doesn't really have any hero's anymore.
The Duke is long dead and buried.  Clint Eastwood is 70 or so now.  Granted, Tom Selleck cuts a strong figure on the screen but he isn't too prolific.  I guess he can afford to be choosy.  Sam Elliott is really good but getting on up there.  Harrison Ford had a pretty good run and is a fine actor but always in the "come from behind underdog sort of role".  Bruce Willis is okay as a cop but that's about it.  I just can't see Johnny Depp or Happy Gilmore as a leading man hero type.  Am I missing someone or are we pretty much relegated chic-flicks and comedies due to lack of a strong leading man hero type?

no guns here
"I feared for my life!"

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Where did all the hero's go?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 04:03:28 PM »
My old buddy Robert Duval does a good job too.  He may not be as big as the Duke, as hansome as Tom, or as smooth as Sam, but he has a way of getting his point across.  He was great in Lonesome Dove and Open Range, just to name a couple of his movies.

Its true, there are few really good" horse poop and gunsmoke" heros around today.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 04:44:53 PM »
Robert Duval does real good as a cowboy, but I wouldn't rate him as prolific.  I sure do miss the Duke and Clint.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 01:19:35 PM »
I jumped on here because I thought it was about Heros. You guys are talking about actors pretending to be Heros. Well, I'm already here so, I"ll tell you where one of my hero's is at. He's fighting house to house somewhere north of Bagdad. He's my 22 year old Son and he's a SGT in the 82nd Air Borne. He just turned 22 and this is his second war. He has already been to Afganistan. Oh yea, he ain't pretending to be anybody. He really is Sgt. Clayton !!!!!!!!!!!! of the 82nd Air Borne. And he is one of my BIGGEST HEROS.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline covertcowboy

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 01:48:45 PM »
tell him thanx from tampa!
me?
give you my wallet?
...ain't gonna happen bub

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 04:44:22 PM »

I give Sgt Clayton and ALL the young guys serving in the military a salute.  I spent some time in the 101st Airborne, many years ago. I know first hand what they are going through.

I spent 24 years active duty, eighteen in the Air Force, retired from the military in 1977, then spent 26 years in civil service working with the B1B, F22 and B2 aircraft.

Today I work very hard at being retired, and shouting HOORAY for all the troops fighting for us.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 04:49:16 PM »
Dee, please tell him thank you from Texas!  Any time I run into any of our guys and/or gals in uniform I shake their hand and thank them for a job well done. 

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 09:54:42 PM »
Dee,
     Didn't mean for you to feel slighted.  You see, I'm currently working on my 20th year of service.  I'm an AF SNCO.   Might have been better if I had been more specific in my subject line.  MOST Americans will never know the service, sacrifice, danger, actions or level of effort that our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines know sometimes on a daily basis, even just while training.  I would never slight my brothers and sisters... However, for MOST Americans, their "heroes" are the one's they see on a regular basis on TV/movies.
Maybe we should redefine these as "traditional, positively masculine role models".  I don't think of John Wayne as a hero who sacrificed and bled for his fellows or country, because he didn't.  I do think of his character portrayals as a "hero" type.  Strong, masculine, slow to anger, good in a tough spot or a fight, gentle with women (most of the time), etc...

sorry again,
ngh
"I feared for my life!"