Author Topic: Range Report 35 Whelen, 22 Hornet, 270  (Read 884 times)

Offline mattparliament

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
Range Report 35 Whelen, 22 Hornet, 270
« on: August 09, 2006, 04:42:02 AM »
Well, finally got some shooting done last night, I've had loads made up and ready to go and haven't been able to get out to shoot.  Also, recently got a chrony which is a bunch of fun and gives great information on "theoretical" velocities published in the manuals.  I'm not all professional with a bench rest and sand bags, my rest is a log with a cloth on it on the hood of my Jeep, works for me.

First, the Hornet.  12.3 grains of H110, 35 grain V-max via 2006 hodgdon manual, printed velocity 3060, actual 3060 fps, cool.  This load shoots extremely tight if I do my part also.  Could cover all with a penny at 50 yards.

Side note, I planned on taking pictures of groups and such but instead of removing targets, I kept stacking one on top the next, sorry.

270.  I am going antelope hunting with the 270 handi this fall so I made up some 100 grain Hornady soft points.  50 grains of H4895 via 2006 hodgdon manual.  Printed velocity 3401 fps, actual 3040 fps, cool.  This load will put one on top of the other and should prove to be a good antelope round.  Also had some 90 grain sierras loaded up with 53 grains of H4895 printed velocity of 3595 fps, actual 3600fps, cool.  Should be some fun on the prairie dogs to warm up for antelope shooting.

Interesting note on the 270, maybe you guys can help me out.  I have really really cleaned the chamber on the 270 but sometimes pushing the release lever is tight after shooting and 2 or 3 out of about 30 didn't eject. >:(  I know you think that it's the reloads but factory ammo reacts the same way.  Sure wish the search feature was working.  Anyway, I love my 270.

Before I remark about the 35 Whelen I want you to know the 22 hornet, 270, and 35 whelen were all shot from the same action by switching barrels.

35 Whelen.  Picked up a box of 200 grain Remingtons to get sighted in and I plan on using 225 grain Barnes triple shocks for elk and bear, I chose them because you get some increased velocity with handloading which I'll get more into in a minute.  First shot with the Remington's, squeezed the trigger and "CLICK!", nothing, try again and nothing, I hate misfires.  Open it up, nice dent in the primer, and I toss the thing behind a tree, those make me nervous.  Grab the next one and it fired perfectly with some stout recoil, little tougher than the 270, but by no means unbearable.  This is at about 50 yards to get the thing on paper and they are all touching.  Adjusted to get it centered up.  The fifth round I got the same Misfire!  That's 2 out of 5!   :o Odd and frustrating.  Chronied at an even 2600 fps.

According to Barnes the TSX bullets are supposed to get 50-200 fps increase in velocity due to decreased surface contact on the bore, cool.  They also say use the regular x-bullet info and you should be able to use 1-2 more grains of powder due to the decrease in pressures, OK.  Their manual maxed out at 60 grains of R15.  I made 5 loads, a 59.5, 60.0, 60.5, 61.0, 61.5 to check for pressure signs and velocity.  I was all set up to let the first one go and "CLICK!"   ???  Sooooo, I didn't just get a bad box of Remingtons but apparently my firing pin isn't hitting hard enough.  FYI, the loads are using Winchester Large Rifle Primers.  Same as I used in my 270 with no problems and this is using the same action.  Frustrated and curious.  I toss in the 60.0 grainer (don't get on me too much, I know this is the max load for the x-bullet but not the TSX and I choose to shoot this willingly and knowing the facts) and it takes off perfectly.  BTW 60 grain x bullet gets 2713 fps via the Barnes manual, the TSX clocked at 2743, cool.  Toss in the 60.5 get 2783 fps, cooler.  No pressure signs yet.  61.0 gets 2808 fps! Yes!  2800 was my goal (for some reason).  FYI, the fasted load in the 2006 Hodgdon manual for 225 grainer in the 338 mag is 2811 fps.  Therefore I have reached magnum power with the handi and didn't have to use a belted case, just some premium bullets (with a premium price  :o)  Again the 61.5 didn't fire.....  frustrating.  I have some Nosler ballistic tips around for the Whelen and I'm going to load them a bit light to get all centered up, make some of these TSX's with 61 grains for hunting and give things a whirl.

Any info on the seemingly weak firing pin contact, or the stickier 270 cases with continued shooting would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I changed barrels, stocks, forarms and everything else, when it all went back together all points of impact stayed the same.  Everything had the O-ring trick and that's it.

FYI - Poncaguy, your comments on using the varmint stock and feeling less recoil is NOT the case with my gun.  I was using my synthetic stock filled with shot and when I switched to the varmint stock recoil went up, noticeably! ;D

Also, I don't measure groups with a ruler because it's not important to me.  I carry some change in my pocket and that is my "guage"  These are hunting guns and if I can cover 3 35 whelens with a quarter at 100 yards, I'm a happy puppy!
Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid.  ~John Wayne

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: Range Report 35 Whelen, 22 Hornet, 270
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 05:03:11 AM »

Sweeeeeeeeeet ;D

I'm glad it's working out for you...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 10:01:58 AM »
Sorry the Choate Varmit stock didn't help. I don't have or need one on my Whelen, have one on my 308 (was a Survivor model) and my 45-70, which really helped my 65 year old bad shoulder..........ur accuracy and loads sound very good.

poncaguy

Offline grouper sandwich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://members.fishingworks.com/groupersandwich/
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 10:55:31 AM »
I know that it says not to, but just use the XLC data for the TSX's.  That's what I do and my pressures are fine.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 01:22:52 PM »
Congrats Matt, good work!! ;) Those are some fantastic numbers!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 04:39:10 PM »
I was reading on another forum, a guy with a Remmy 700 was having misfires with Remington 200's, another poster said it was a sizing problem with Remington brass.................my Handi 35 hasn't misfired yet with the Rem ammo, but I haven't shot a whole box yet.............

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 12:50:25 AM »
Good report Matt. Thanks for sharing it. And it really sounds like you have got a winner with the 35Whelen. Just stirs up my curiousity even more on this round... ;D
-Aaron

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 03:34:23 AM »
Matt,

Check the headspace on that Whelen barrel.  If the other two are working fine, I would
almost bet that there is enough room for the cartridge to slip forward when struck by
the firing pin, absorbing some of its energy and allowing the missfires.  The other
thing I would check is to make sure that you didn't contaminate the primers when you
loaded the .35 cartridges, or that there was any oil, cleaning fluid of some type or
case lube inside the cases which could have the same result.

Another thought is that you might have set the shoulder back a touch when sizing the cases,
which could have the same result as excessive headspace.

Nice shooting!  Hope the .243 worked out for you.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline mattparliament

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 04:01:00 AM »
Additional important info:  all calibers were neck sized only! Except the factory stuff of course ;)

Offline HUNTS

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 01:11:56 PM »
Sent my handi Whelen back to NEF two weeks ago for the same problem: misfires.  I also had problems with the action locking up after firing a round.  It took a serious amount of messing around with the gun to get it to open up. 

I have to suspect there are issues with the fitting of the barrel to the action.  I hope the gun gets back here soon!

Offline mattparliament

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 04:06:11 AM »
I'll be interested to hear what the story is when they return it to you.

Here's a question, let's say the shoulder is cut too far back, my cases that did fire should now be "fire-formed" to my chamber and any reloads from this point on should be perfect!!!!! YAY!!!  Seriously though, I'll have to get out the calipers this weekend and do some measureing of fired cases compared to the misfires and other unfired.  I'll be sure to post anything out of the ordinary.  Also, I'll have to reload some of the factory ammo that I shot up and see if I get any misfires with "once-fired brass" shot from my gun.  Sound like a good plan?

Offline mattparliament

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 07:05:01 AM »
Well, did some playing.  I put the bullets in the chamber that didn't fire, all 3 that didn't went in past flush, meaning the back of the cartridge went in further than the end of the barrel.  Make sense?  All others were perfectly flush.  Also, all fired cases were perfectly flush as they should be "fire-formed" to the chamber.  I picked 10 never loaded brass that fit flush and reloaded them.  Also reloaded the 18 once-fired brass.  We'll see what happens next, hopefully get to shoot them on Friday...