Author Topic: Need some help, here, folks...  (Read 845 times)

Offline Charlie Detroit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Need some help, here, folks...
« on: April 13, 2003, 04:26:04 AM »
Went to a Buckskinners' Trade Fair in Friendship, Wisconsin, yesterday...real nice, but small (maybe 10-12 exhibitors). Wife went nuts, as usual, buying bits and pieces of this and that (mostly beads). I found a revolver I'd not seen before:
This was in an old box marked "Armi San Marco", and had some EMF papers in it. It was a Remington M1858 New Model Army, with an extra cylinder that was converted to take a cartridge, probably a .45 Colt from the look of it. This was a conversion that required removal of the cylinder, removing a back plate containing six firing pins from the cylinder, exposing the chambers for the cartridges. This loaded, the back plate was replaced, and the whole thing replaced in the revolver frame.
Anybody know what this was called, and what current prices might be like? I can't find it in any of my lists.
BTW, the box was INTENDED for this combo; it had a compartment for the extra cylinder.
I'd appreciate any information anyone's got.
Thanks...
C.D.
I ain't paranoid but every so often, I spin around real quick.--just in case
Sometimes I have a gun in my hand when I spin around.--just in case
I ain't paranoid, but sometimes I shoot when I spin around.--just in case

Offline Ken55

1858 Remington
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2003, 09:42:22 AM »
Midway USA(midwayusa.com) sells that conversion out of their Van Horn  Mercantile catolog.  The conversion is by Taylor's & Co, 1858 blue cylinder is $239.99 & Silver $269.99.  Also available for Ruger Old Army.   Contact website above for details.   What did you have to give for it ?  Ken
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration.  Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the World will follow our lead into the future"  - Adolf Hitler 1935

Offline River runner

• Avid Poster
Need some help, here, folks...
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2003, 07:38:57 PM »
R&D, and Kirst also have the same conversion, they are pretty popular with CAS. and are constantly advertised in the Cowboy Chronical, if you need further info let me know. I shoot a pair of Pietta '58 Remingtons, but I shoot 'em the way they came. You can usually buy the guns thru Cabella's for about $135.00 or so. RR :-D

Offline Flint

conversions
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 02:27:43 PM »
Look up Taylors firearms, they sell the R&D unit you refer to.  The Kirst unit has a non-rotating backplate with one firing pin, and a new cylinder now available with 5 chambers and a false chamber position that is SASS legal, since it will put the hammer down with no cartridge (or chamber) under it, which their previous version would not do.  The R&D is a six shot with one of the six firing pins color-coded (SS)  to visually identify the empty chamber (provided you load it that way). If it is an older cylinder without the color coded firing pin, use the index pin which is visible from the rear between two firing pins, put the empty to the left of the pin and it will be easy to cock it to a safe hammer rest on the empty chamber. They work very well, you can reload with a spare (but expensive) cylinder on 10 seconds or less.  The R&D cylinder costs about $240, which is more than the revolver costs, but it's made better than the revolver, (which becomes the throw-away part).  It is chambered for 45Colt, "Cowboy" or black powder loads, do not hotrod it.  I shoot 7 gr Unique or 6 gr Titegroup with a 200 or 250 gr bullet.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life