Author Topic: Can you Drill a hole in a golfball?  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Santa Dave

• RBS
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Can you Drill a hole in a golfball?
« on: August 14, 2006, 11:12:32 AM »
I've never tried it
and I don't think i would try  without a drill press!
My thought in making a rammer was to put a golfball on the end (It IS the perfect size & shape)
I'm still stumped for a worm , but the swiss cheese between my ears is a-workin' on it!
I found some decorative wooden table legs that MIGHT work, but I forgot my Calipers!
I think the diameter is just about right! They have a stud in the end but one could remove it on one, and use it to mount a worm on the other.
Sand 'em smooth, Stain "em dark, give 'em some gloss urethane and they would be good lookin too!
Dave
Wear Something RED on fridayTo show YOUR support for our troops! Even if YOU don't support the war!

Offline Michael Az

• Avid Poster
Re: Can you Drill a hole in a golfball?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 01:07:14 PM »
I'm quite sure you could. I would advise to not let the drill bit linger in the hole as it is soft rubber. Soft materials can get hot very quickly because the drill isn't actually cutting and having the cut material removed up the flutes. So I would run the drill in and then get it out quickly and you could do this several times if necessary. A sharp Forrester bit might work better than a drill for steel. If you need me to I could give it a try.
Michael

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 01:31:06 PM »
Dave, when making golf ball size moulds, I use golf balls as a lap to lap the moulds. I drill a hole in the ball then insert a lag bolt then use coarse valve grinding compound to smooth the interior of the mould. It takes several balls to do a mould. One time I drilled into a ball that had a liquid center but other than a big surprise it didn't hurt me any. It's hard to drill dead center on a ball except in a lathe.

Max
Max

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 04:07:08 PM »
I can drill it for you... Drill Press not actually needed.

Just leave it on top of your mailbox tomorrow.

Rick

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 04:21:54 PM »
Sorry, Rick, already tried that, no hole, no golf ball just pieces of rubber band everywhere.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 04:34:45 PM »
Might be a hole... you would have to piece it together to be sure.

Offline Santa Dave

• RBS
  • GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 08:24:52 PM »
Yup,
I punched one with 35-06 . couldn't find enough to see where i hit it. But I DID hit it!  I know, back to cannons!
dave
Wear Something RED on fridayTo show YOUR support for our troops! Even if YOU don't support the war!

Offline freddo

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 02:36:39 AM »
 If you want to drill a hole centred in a ball using a drill press first clamp a piece of board to the table.Put a spade bit in the press and drill a hole of smaller diameter than the ball in the board.Put your desired drill bit in the press.Sit your ball in the hole in  the board and drill it The hole will be centered. Be careful with golf balls there is a lot of pressure in them and that liquid can squirt out and blind you.

Offline curator

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 01:35:58 PM »
Very Dangerous!

Most golf balls have a liguid center under tremendous pressure! Puncturing it creates something very much like a miniature explosion, and can cause serious injury to bystanders. Shooting one from a distance is probably OK, but I would not be in the shop if someone was drilling one in his drill press!