Author Topic: Do it YOURSELF western hunting  (Read 832 times)

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Do it YOURSELF western hunting
« on: April 11, 2003, 04:16:58 AM »
:? I know a lot of people here are interested in hunting out west. The only way I"ve been able to afford it is by planning my own hunts. A lot of the viewers here have a lot of knowledge of western hunting.  Let's discuss a do it yourself hunt. What game animal should we focus on? If there is some interest we can go from there. :sniper:

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2003, 12:42:00 PM »
All of my big game hunting is instate here in Arizona and I do it myself.  A do it yourself hunt all depends upon how much of the work you are willing to do yourself.  It's not that difficult and especially if you can get a local hunter to give you advice and support.

I have helped out a few out of state hunters in the past and found it an enjoyable experience.  Actually I think there is almost as much enjoyment and satisfaction coming out of the research, planning and preparation for hunt.

Sure it would be a lot more convient and easier if I could afford an outfitter or guide to do the grunt work, but then again I don't have anyone helping me the rest of the year with my regular chores.

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
    • http://photos.yahoo.com/stevehud58
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2003, 06:02:08 PM »
We usually do a 5 or 6 guy mule deer hunt in Wyoming.  We take  a homemade 12 x 24 plywood and tarp tent with a barrel stove for heat.
The cost, including nonresident deer license, food, gas for two trucks-700 miles each way, two motel rooms going out and two coming back, ends up just less than $500 a piece. Not bad for a 10 day trip. We camp and hunt on public land.

This year it is just my son and I going.   This year we are going for elk in the same area we usually hunt mule deer.  

The gas will just be one truck worth and then just one room going out and one coming back.  And the food will be less for just two.  So our individual costs shouldn't be too much greater.

We may be skipping the motel going out as we will be taking our mules with us this time. They will add to the cost but will be worth it for packing out the meat.  One area we hunt is "foot or horseback only".

Hud
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

I AM THE NRA...........Life Member.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2003, 01:52:59 AM »
In Michigan, 99% of all hunting is "on your own".  But we are doing an antelope hunt in Wyoming this Oct. with family out there.  There are quite a few guys from around here that go out west or to Canada hunting every fall . . . all on their own.  And apart from some of the bologna that some might tell, success is quite good.  I imagine the main thing is figuring out exactly where to go where there is game.
Life is short......eternity is long.