Author Topic: Binoculars  (Read 523 times)

Offline Cecil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Binoculars
« on: August 18, 2006, 03:58:10 AM »
Roof prism or porro which is best?
Cecil

Offline NimrodRx

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Binoculars
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 04:04:54 AM »
"Best"  Only you can decide.  Depends entirely on your budget and what you're using them for.  You've got to give us more to go on.
"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt

Offline Cecil

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 05:39:35 AM »
Hunting mostly
Cecil

Offline Naphtali

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 08:39:21 AM »
Cecil:

There are discussions of exactly what you want in this forum's archives. Try doing a couple of searches for "binocular," or "roof prism," or "porro prism." I think you'll find mind-numbing detail.

You also might try boolean searching for "binocular" and "quality" or something similar.

These searches will work equally well in AltaVista or Ask advanced searches on the worldwide web. Pull on a thread and everything will unravel for you.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Cecil

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 01:16:17 PM »
Thanks I have tried Graybeards search but couldn't get to work , will try the others
Cecil

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 04:47:50 PM »
For hunting I prefer the roof prism binoculars, and would venture a guess that so does a vast majority of hunters.  They are usually more compact and ergonomic than porros.  They are more rugged than and easier to waterproof than porros and now that just about all optics companies have a pretty good idea on how to make them, the view they provide is almost as good as that of equally priced porros.  Certainly the resolution and color reproduction of roofs are now on par with porros, yet depth of field or the 3D aspect of the view is still superior in a porro.  Bottom line, you can get a better view for the same price with a porro, but spend a little more and you will get about an equal view in a much more rugged and compact glass.
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.