Author Topic: .17 caliber in a pistol  (Read 597 times)

Offline kfouts2

• Trade Count: (0)
.17 caliber in a pistol
« on: August 20, 2006, 05:14:49 PM »
I am in love with our new .17 caliber rifle.  This round is truly amazing and makes plinking even more fun!  I saw that Taurus is offering it in a line of pistols.  I was concerned that this round seems to need a long barrel to make it perform.  Has anyone shot some of these pistols?  Any of the short barrels?  I'd like to know how they impressed you.

Thanks.

Ken

Offline KN

Re: .17 caliber in a pistol
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 10:07:15 AM »
I'm with you on this one. Terrific and just plain fun round. BUT, I don't see the nitch for a revolver. Maybe its just me but this round deserves a nice scope to make it shine at the ranges its cappable of. For me that means a TC. I don't think I could hit anything with it any better than I could a 22lr from an unscoped pistol. Thats why I thinks it kind of a waste in a revolver. But thats just me and I'm sure plenty of others disagree with this view. Although I once saw one in a NEA mini revolver. To me thats just stupid.   KN

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 03:01:52 PM »
I have a Ruger Single Six 17 HMR with a scope.........very accurate, but you have to wear muffs for hearing protection.....LOUD!

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 02:14:33 AM »
Guess the .17 might work ok in a scoped hadgun for squirrels. Of course a .22 would do the same job about as well. With the velocity loss of the shorter barrel, and the cost of ammo for the .17, I see no pratical use other than mentioned above, or just for fun.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 04:05:25 AM »
Yup....I have one of the Taurus.  It sure is pretty, and it is set up so I could easily install a scope.  Without a scope.....it probabably dosaen't have any 'Hunting' purpose, but with some of the new ammo they have finally started carrying, itwould sure poke some neat little tiny holes through someone if needed for self defence.  Of course my 9mm would probably have more knockdown, but I am sure that I couold protect me and mine with the 8 tiny little deep holes from the 17.
....make it count

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 07:48:48 AM »
The 17 HMR does about 1980 fps out of my six inch Taurus revolver.  It strikes me as a viable small game number.  But what I would like to see is a 17 caliber self loader.  Say a Browning Buckmark in 17 Mach II.

Offline Oklahomabound

• Retired and Piddlin' - Hunting, flyfishing, etc.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 05:37:50 PM »
I shoot the Ruger Single Action Six as well; great revolver, just use the ear protection.
NRA Life Member
ITSASS
SASS Life Member
WartHog