Author Topic: Ruger vs CZ 9 mm  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Archie

• Trade Count: (1)
Ruger vs CZ 9 mm
« on: July 09, 2006, 03:07:34 PM »
Looking for a 9 mm that I will use for plinking mostly, but will be a personnel defence hangun.  Can I get 2" or less at 25 yards from either of these pistols? The cz 75 all steel looks good, how accurate and reliable.  Is the aluminum / steel ruger any good, how is accuracy and relability. Will the aluminum frame hold up where I can pass it on to my kids one day.  Can you get after market adjustible sight for either.

Thanks

Offline jgalar

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ruger vs CZ 9 mm
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 05:04:02 AM »
In my oppinion the CZ75 is the best bargain out there. Its every bit as accurate and reliable as any handgun available anywhere. Custom gun performance at a very reasonable price. Jeff Cooper made a statement a few years ago in his column in one of the gun rags that the CZ75 was the best 9mm available and the only one he would own. He made the comment that it was a shame that US manufacturers couldn't produce as fine a gun.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 01:40:11 PM »
My Ruger P95 decocker 9mm will shoot 2" at 25 yards easily............never had a FTF or FTF with it.

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 02:11:51 PM »
Although the Ruger is a great pistol for the money, reliable, accurate enough, and rugged as well------the CZ is all that and a whole lot more! The CZ would be an easy choice for me, miles ahead of about anything else for ergonomics as well!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 05:21:13 PM »
While Ruger makes good guns, I have owned 4 of them, the CZ line is outstanding.  I currently have 2 CZ-75's, one in 9 MM and the other in .40 S.W.

You could always buy both and enjoy the variety. :)

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 07:51:42 PM »
I have had 2 Ruger 9mm, and 2 CZ's one is a CZ75 9mm the other was a 40 cal. Dint like the feel or size of the Rugers, used the CZ 40 on a trade. The CZ75 is my main carry gun. Got rid of the stock grips and put a set of hogue grips on it and it feels fine. I have to qualify every 24 mos and only use the CZ75.

Gun Runner

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 07:56:23 PM »
The CZ75 is the sidearm chosen for the Soviet Special Forces. Excellent ergonomics. You can pretty much trust any firearm with the name CZ on it. The Italians (Tanfoglio) coppied it and called it the EAA Witness, but that was when the Soviet Block nations were cut off from us and we couldn't get the real thing. Get the real thing.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 11:59:39 PM »
Hands down, the CZ is the better choice.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline dchi

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 05:05:48 PM »
I've got a CZ75 along with 13 other handguns and have traded about 45 in 20 years and I can tell it ain't the greatest 9mm out there. But I will rate it higher than ruger p85 and p95 had both of those too. It's a tought one to beat by price but roughly made. The trigger has some creep, over travel and is kinda lousy. My gun smith says not too much can be done about if you notice one up close, cock the hammer and slowly pull the trigger. The hammer will actually move back about 1/16" so you are not just breaking the sear but partialy cocking the hammer that equals lousy pull. The finish is spray paint and not even on mine and the machine and tool marks are plenty and sharp inside the gun. Good note is it shoots about 2" at 50 feet, has been reliable after the 1st 50 rounds and I paid $300 for it new plus shipping. Oh yeah forgot to mention the trigger reach is just a little on the long side, I have medium size hands with no problems with glocks, sigs, berettas, 1911 or N frame smiths. Oh it's all steel, $300 for and all steel gun that works is  pretty good since most are plastic or alluminum now a days.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 08:12:45 AM »
I have owned several Rugers and CZs over the years, I have never owned a CZ that gave me any kind of problem.  I can't say that for all of the Rugers I have owned.  I recently bought a CZ 40P from J & G Sales (www.jgsales.com) for $299.95.  I have run about 1000-1200 rounds through the gun with no problem at all.  The CZ is as tough as a Marine First Sergent and should provide you with many years of carefree shooting pleasure.  For the price, I think they are one of the better buys on the market today.

Offline mikedb

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 12:49:05 PM »
I am not a high priced firearms afficionado (sp?).  I am a Ruger kind of guy.  But I love my CZ75B.  At my usual defense practice distance of 21ft I can put the bullets next to each other.  Maybe other guns are smoother but ya cant argue with that kind of accuracy.  I should mention my 54 year old eyes arent what they used to be.  I think the finish is fine and with Hogue grips the ergonomics are great.  I love just holding it.  Others have thought the same.

Offline Silver City Red

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 05:42:11 AM »
My wife has a CZ 75, her concealed carry piece.  Totally reliable and accurate.  It'll eat all types of 9mm, from 115gr hardball to 147 HP's.  The only semi auto I'd carry besides a 1911.   

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 02:22:04 PM »
Never owned a ruger centerfire semi auto handgun.I have thought they always looked crummy( just my opinion)and I know of several le departments that have bought the 9mm and .40s (rugers)for thier departments and and found they did not hold up on the range.traded them in for Glocks they did..
As for the CZ75 at one time they were a highly prized possesions by americans.As we could not buy them,we were not allowed to deal with communist countrys.as some one mentioned Col.Cooper loved them and wanted the 10mm built on the frame of one.But could not do it as we were not allowed to deal with the com bloc countrys.But now we can.and I own thr 9mm and the 40 they are great guns.and would be my choice over a lot of other picks also.and Yes, you can have just about any sight you want installed on one.I would recomend the novak low profile night sight.
as for the accuarcy of the CZs..very good.and the reliabilty..they work great if you take care of your end.
my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 05:51:40 PM »
Really hard to believe Ruger P series did not hold up, really hard........... ::)

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 03:22:17 AM »
Poncaguy..
               I have other info that would be hard to believe.and is hard for me to belive.and I do not post it in cyber space.but I know for a fact that two city police departments were talked into buying rugers for there transition from revs to autos and after some time at the range they got rid of the rugers and bought glocks.the pistols did not hold up and were malfunctioning at an unacceptable level.some thing else hard to believe.our top Le agency is not allowed to use sigs.and it is not because they are pricey or not accurate.
my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 06:10:29 AM »
koyte.  What top LE are you making reference to?  I worked in government for many years and know for a fact that the American military has large numbers of Sigs, and some are used by top Federal LEOs.  The Texas Department of Public Safety has armed their force with with the Sig (in .357 Sig caliber.)  as standard sidearm for troopers.  Even many of the old diehard Texas Rangers that cut their teeth on the 1911 have moved to the Sig.

I fully expect the Sig to replace the Beretta as the sidearm for the military sometime in the near future.  It has proven to be a more reliable weapon.

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 04:53:20 PM »
I didn't like the "fit" of the cz however, my p95 has several hundred rounds through it and never gave me a problem. It eats any 9mm ammo and is more accurate than my browning hi-power

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 05:24:38 PM »
Let me buck the tide.  ::)

Original Steyr M and S series are a great value and highly reliable guns.

here is a S-40, subcompact .40 S&W

Doug

Offline doncisler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 01:25:57 AM »
no question, the CZ.  mostly because i do not like the feel of the rugers, feel like holding a 2X4 ( i guess i feel the same way about some of the H&K's and Walther 99).  for accuracy, durability and reliable function they are equal.
put em where you want em

nra life menber
nahc life menber

Offline Simple Man

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2006, 02:53:11 AM »
I think you should absolutely check out the CZ 75. In my opinion they are the best handgun in that price range and once you shoot one, you WILL be hooked.

Offline Tom C.

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 02:19:46 PM »
I have 2 9mm autos, a CZ-75 that I have had for years, and a brand new SIG P226. Both of them have ergonomics that agree with me. Both shoot well. The CZ even has a very nice .22 conversion available.The CZ is half the cost of the SIG.
I favor the CZ-75 over the Ruger. Personal preference.
Tom

Offline mikedb

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 08:30:46 AM »
Looking for a 9 mm that I will use for plinking mostly, but will be a personnel defence hangun.  Can I get 2" or less at 25 yards from either of these pistols? The cz 75 all steel looks good, how accurate and reliable.  Is the aluminum / steel ruger any good, how is accuracy and relability. Will the aluminum frame hold up where I can pass it on to my kids one day.  Can you get after market adjustible sight for either.

Thanks

I had a P-94 in 9mm, great gun.  I now have a CZ75 in 9mm greater gun.  The CZ's accuracy is awesome.  Much better than my P94