Author Topic: 25-06 help  (Read 565 times)

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
25-06 help
« on: August 21, 2006, 04:22:45 PM »
I think I have finally got my 25-06 zeroed in and ready for deer season.   However, I have a really odd thing happening that I don't remember seeing anyone else talk about.  Maybe someone can give a suggestion.  When the barrel is totally cooled, it is dead on.  However, even the second shot moves a little and it gets worse from there.  I have never shot this barrel in more than 4 shot groupings. 

As soon as it cools, shot #1 is dead on again.  After that, same thing. 

Anyone else ever experienced this?  Any ideas?

Thanks

Josh

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 25-06 help
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 04:50:41 PM »
Tinker with the forend pressure, my .280 did the same thing, 2 side by side pretty much and the 3rd much higher. My .25-06 just climbs, haven't worked with it yet. My Brenneke does it too. A thinner forend spacer or flat sand it, or change the forend hole so there's less pressure on the barrel. Try shooting it without the forend on, if it doesn't climb, the above fixes will probably help.

Tim

25-06

7x64 Brenneke, the 3rd shot is off the paper!!

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline safetysheriff

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 01:53:09 PM »
it may be true that this hot-rod, and the .280 our other friend had trouble with, are reacting to the temperature of the chamber.....if using ball powders as a propellant.   some of the 'stick' powders would have very little problem (comparatively) with 'cooking' in a warm/hot chamber.   but ball powders react quite a bit to the heat of a rifle.   what kind of ammo' are you working with?
do you handload?     

i'd also look at 'Speedy Gonzales" article on www.6mmbr.com re: accuracy/stringing.   it is very informative.  he has been around the block and makes a number of good suggestions.

take care,

ss'   

Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline iamsniper1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • One Shot One Kill
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 10:12:15 PM »
Don't worry about it,Heres why-The first shot out the barrel is called the COLD SHOT and its the only shot that matters,as long as you know where the FIRST SHOT FROM A COLD BARREL IS HITTING YOU SHOULDN'T NEED A SECOND OR THIRD OR FOURTH SHOT.
Also if you haven't hit your target(deer) with you first or second shot, stop shooting you are just wasting ammo,by the time you get off a third or fourth round with a single shot rifle your target will be in the next county.
Believe None Of What You Hear
Half Of What you Read
and All Of What You See
Works For Me.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 04:18:15 AM »
While that may be true, in it's own right, it still makes it hard to practice with a rifle that shoots off after the first round. In a shooting session I like to fire off many rounds, in different positions. You never know what position you will be in out in the field. So in this case, and if it where my rifle, I would try to get this corrected as much as possible. That is unless you are already completely comfortable with it...though it's hard to get this way without practice and time spent with it.
It's true and I agree the first shot counts.
Like Tim said, try different forearm pressure points, O-ring, shim behind the forearms spacer, and if it comes to it bedding.
SS also has a good point, as he usually does. It's a great site with tons of useful info.
-Aaron

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 05:37:45 AM »
Thanks guys, I will try all of the above.  It is important to me to get it fix.  Sniper, you are correct, the first shot is the one that counts.  However, I like to shoot 30-40 shots with each rifle when I get out, so I want to figure it out.  I appreciate all of the suggestions.