Author Topic: rechambering  (Read 793 times)

Offline D.C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
rechambering
« on: August 21, 2006, 09:19:34 AM »
 does anyone know if any of the 44 mag barrels are suitable for a rechamber to 444M? that my be the way to go to get one i guess. thanks for your thoughts D.C.

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (82)
  • A Real Regular
Re: rechambering
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 11:42:12 AM »
I have heard of people doing it but I dont know how they shoot.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 03:26:28 PM »
The 44Mag has a 1:38" twist rate which wouldn't be ideal for a .444M rechamber specially if you want to shoot bullets heavier than 270gr, but the original Marlin .444 had that twist rate and worked, later was changed to 1:20" tho. The biggest problem with the .44mag Handi is the oversized bores, they can be hard to get to shoot accurately even as a .44, what going to happen with a lot more powder, it may be an expensive conversion if it doesn't work, although several have done home rechambers to .445 Supermag and had great results, so the extra powder may be all that's needed to get good accuracy out of the oversized bores by obturation of the bullets to fill the bore.

Your PM concerning the muzzleloading .44mag rifle may be in reference to the original H&R Shikari which had a ramrod under the barrel, I don't know if the frames are up to shooting the .444M round unless you kept them loaded down to .44mag velocitiies and pressure. It was also available in .45-70, but limited to trapdoor loads which are 28kpsi and below, the .444M has a SAAMI MAP of 44kcup. The Shikari bores had much nicer rifling that the newer rifles and were excellent cast bullet shooters from those that have posted about them. Hopefully some of those folks will offer their opinions on the subject. ;)

Tim

http://www.chuckhawks.com/444Marlin.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 05:11:26 PM »
D.C., I have a .444 rechamber from one of the newer barrels and I'd like to echo everything that Quick said. In addition, the 1:38" twist causes problems with the Hornady LeverEvolution ammo........about 60% go thru the target sideways. The gun works fine with 240's and 265's; I haven't shot any 270's or 300's.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline D.C.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 05:53:54 PM »
Thanks guys, I have decided to hold off on this one. When I get the urge again on the 444M I think I will go with the lever gun .I looked in the marlin site and it has a more appropreate twist. Thanks again.   D.C.  Don

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 06:22:27 PM »
Not to discourage your idea of a 444 at all, but might I ask why not go for a 45-70 or 500 S&W? Just a curious question thats all  ;D
-Aaron

Offline D.C.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 08:40:15 AM »
have 44 molds. just like the look of the big old clunking strait walled shells. kind of a whim with no good reason. other than, I just want one. think that is an answer that most of the guys here can understand.  Thats a concept my wife just dont get. but as long as i dont brake the bank. I dont get to much flack. As for the 45-70 heck theres another one I'll just have to look into. Like i said earlyer these NEF's are affordable. Once I move to a location were you dont get looked at funny for being a firearms fan I see a fair collection of these in my safe. kind of got side tracked.but a 444 M and a 22 hornet have just always been on my wish list. Dont know if this cleared it up for you , but it is the best I can do .Ill start with the ones i have wanted the longest.the hornet is first.then i will go from there. a 444M kind of came up out of order and i got a little side tracked. I am past it now,this was the wrong gun. I am going to focus on the hornet for now .but sometimes stuff just happens.      D.C. Don  ::)

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 08:45:57 AM »
Good enough reason for me.
I hope you find what you are looking for.
 8) carry on

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 08:47:13 AM »
I can understand it fully, having done the same thing only with a complete rebore and rechamber of a .38-55 Target to .405 Winchester, I just wanted one, and a .45-120 and a .35 Remington...and a .338-06 A-Square....and maybe a .375-06...just maybe!!! ;D

Tim

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 09:00:59 AM »
Quick, you mean you're not considering the .450/.400 that Hornady's making now?
 ;D ;D ;D
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline D.C.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 06:33:14 PM »
just curious mind you. but a complete redo,the rebore and rechamber. Does that kill the affordability statement i made earlyer? or merly injure it a bit? what would be a good barrel to start out with? one that has enough metal not only for the rebore but that monster chamber too? again just curious maybe a down the road thing .If it dont cost tooooo much. Heck a buddy had a barrel or two cusom made for his contender.they weren't tooo  bad. Took forever but for a something special not too bad.  just dont tell that  one fellow im a thinkin about it.  ;)         D.C.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 07:08:01 PM »
Sorry Joe, I think the .450-400 is a bit much for a Handi frame unless reduced loads are in favor. ;D

DC,

A rebore/rechamber will cost in the neighborhood of $300, give or take $50. H&R uses Green Mountain barrel blanks which are plenty strong for any caliber that the frame design will handle. Wayne York, my gunsmith, has already given the thumbs up for a .375-06 rebore from a 26" .25-06 barrel with a muzzle diameter of ..675, if that gives you an idea. And if you want a bigger bore, the 28" .38-55 Target barrel has a muzzle diameter of .814" which is the same barrel contour as the 32" .45-70 BC, just shorter.

Tim

Offline D.C.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 05:29:43 AM »
thanks Tim
  seems like there are still some options open on this project.  D.C. Don