Author Topic: bore corrosion  (Read 400 times)

Offline handyman06

• Trade Count: (0)
bore corrosion
« on: August 25, 2006, 03:54:19 PM »
hello all

long time listener first time caller what a great site! if i may pick your collective brains for a moment, i have a 22 hornet and if i shoot it today for instance and do not clean the bore by tomarrow morning the bore will be fuzzy. i have seen two other handis that were much worse than mine, both with moderate pitting, both happened to be hornets. years ago i had a marlin 30as same problem and i understand marlin owns nef. could marlin/nef use some kind of barrel steel that corrodes easily? i have a marlin mr-7 that has never given me any problems though. and by the way it hasent had any affect on accuracy so far. has anybody else noticed this?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: bore corrosion
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 04:03:52 PM »
Welcome aboard!! H&R uses Green Mountain barrel blanks, so I don't think that is the problem, I'd be more inclined to think the bores have never been cleaned well to begin with, there's a bunch of crud in em from the factory, it takes a lot of cleaning and fussing to get them clean at the get go.(See the FAQ. ;)) I've got 25 rifle barrelsl and have never had a problem with em. I keep a .17hmr Sportster in the back of my rig all the time, it gets cleaned once a year whether it needs it or not, no rust.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 02:21:49 PM »
I've had a hornet for 15 years and never had that happen.In fact I hardly ever clean it anymore as it tends to shoot better dirty.What kind of ammo are you using?
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline handyman06

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 04:51:25 AM »
used some S&B factory 45gr. and hornady factory35gr. v-max when i bought it. for the last few years ive used 13gr. lilgun/sierra 45 gr sp. so far same outcome regardless of ammo. thanks