Author Topic: Any Questions from Non-Residents?  (Read 1506 times)

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Any Questions from Non-Residents?
« on: August 26, 2006, 03:43:28 AM »
I know we have a non resident group monitoring, who may be interested in one day hunting Minnesota.  This would be a great opportunity to get any questions you have about the hunting here in MN, things to do, culture, etc.  There are plenty of us who would be happy to answer questions  :)
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Any Questions from Non-Residents?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 08:05:54 AM »
I live in WI about 1 hour east of Taylor Falls Minnesota. I am looking for areas in that general region with good numbers of deer. Public land or perhaps private land with public access. Are there multiple tags available for the gun season? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Cheesehead
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 03:58:51 PM »
Cheesehead,
I have been hunting in the Namadji State Forest for over 20 years.  I live in Illinois, but do more hunting in NW Wisconsin and Minnesota.    The Namadji has gotten a lot of ATV trails in the past few years, changing the deer hunting a lot (not for the better, IMO), but for those who are willing to do some scouting and work, it is still a good place.  It is about 25 miles S of Duluth-Superior and the eastern boundary is the state line.
Since I have had the privelege of hunting in Minnesota, many cherished memories, and really admire the north woods deer hunting traditions, I also always put in a plug for the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association.  I have been a member for many years.  They are one of the finest organizations for preserving our sport and heritage that I have ever seen.  They do a lot for bringing the youngun's into deer hunting as well as outstanding conservation efforts.  Minnesota is a great place to deer hunt.  The rules and regulations have also been a little easier to understand than Wisconsin as well. PM if you want any info about where to stay, etc.  Good huntin'. 
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 07:20:51 PM »
Are there multiple tags available for the gun season?

I'm working at Gander MTN in the morning, I'll get you all the Non Resident prices and tag info for the area you are looking to hunt.  Unlike WI, MN doesn't do 'Earn a Buck'.. In most areas with the exception of some, you are issued (1) tag good for either a buck or an antlerless deer (defined as anything without or with antlers less than 2" protruding from the top of the head).  In addition to that, you can buy "Bonus" tags -- used to be called Intensive Harvest, they obviously are for an extra antlerless.

Will post in the AM on NR info.  I haven't had the opportunity to hunt that area, but I am sure someone here has.
HuntingGuy

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline USMC0332

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 08:57:39 PM »
The Minnesota DNR has a good website that explains the rules and license fees.

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 02:39:44 AM »
HuntingGuy

Offline USMC0332

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 06:55:05 PM »
Just don't try to learn about bear hunting unless you have lots of software. I can't get to the special bear section and the rule books at the store are not available. You have to write in to get one of those. All of what I know of the rules is all second hand info, as this is my first time bear hunting. I will do what I have heard, and let my conscience be my guide. If they want you to adhere to the rules they should at least have them available to you when you buy a license. Ticked me off so bad I almost skipped out on buying a license. I bought one, because I am hunting on other peoples land and it is the responsible thing to do. I almost invoked my Finlander hunting rights, LMAO!

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 10:00:39 AM »
I'd be happy to send out a rule book to anyone needing one.  PM me with address.  I can pay for postage within MN.. If outside of MN, I can still send it but you will need to help on postage.
HuntingGuy