Author Topic: What is your hunting party like?  (Read 976 times)

Offline USMC0332

• Trade Count: (0)
What is your hunting party like?
« on: September 01, 2006, 04:50:40 AM »
The neighborhood that I grew up in has an awesome hunting tradition. We have family and neighbors and friends and a few extra kids added that wouldn't be hunting otherwise. Everyones favorite thing is the young hunters, and almost every boy and girl do hunt. My Dad has been hunting with these people for over 35 years. If you shoot a spotted fawn, you may get a little ribbing, but we all celebrate each others success. We have a big buck contest. Everyone puts in $5. There are around 30 people that are in it. If you win you get 1/2 of the pot, and your name added to the trophy plaque. It usually winds up being spent on beer and pop that is freely shared at several locations after the hunting day. The remainder is spent on deer supplements that are dispersed around the neighborhood by several members. We are seeing a noticeable improvement in the antler growth of our deer. The Buck I have pictured in the hunting pictures thread in this forum is 1 1/2 years old. We used to have many small basket 6 and 8 pointers that had racks sized like both of your hands together. We have been doing this for a few years and it is starting to show. It is encouraged that you not shoot smaller bucks, but you can if you want. Taking does is fine as long as they don't have little fawns. We have had some dandy heavy antlered 10 pointers taken, one went 220 lbs. It was taken at 380 yards (lasered) heart shot with a .270 Weatherby on a woods road. Most shots are under 100 yards in the mature oaks, but there are fields and grass swamps. I could have taken any of my deer with a .30-30(some were), but there is always a chance of a longer shot. Deer hunting is my favorite time of year, though I am trying bear hunting and I hope this extends my favorite.

Offline bearfat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • "Nothin but giant rats with stubby little tails"
    • Deer/Bear hunting Northern Minnesota
Re: What is your hunting party like?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 08:08:09 PM »
Where I hunt we don't want to socialize until the sun goes down. It's all pretty serious putting as much time as you can in the tree stands. My hunting party feels like their day is pretty much ruined if they even see another hunter, God forbid the hunter stumbles into the area and wants to talk. We have others in the area that are what we call "walkers" and drive game to one another. We are "sitters" and want to be left alone. To each his own. We have told the "walkers" stay away, not interested in your hunting techniques of driving.

I could see where it would be fun to socialize alot but we're a small group of 4 guys and we do socialize at noon usually for lunch and with another cabin half a mile from us but not until the end of the first week, then we compare notes over a supper together. Maybe we take it too serious but that's what our hunting party is like and you wanted to know.

bearfats cabin:    http://buckmountainchateau.com/

Offline USMC0332

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What is your hunting party like?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 02:00:50 PM »
We do get some walker/drivers in the nasty thick brush in the swamp on the neighboring state land. That is a good thing for us. We are heavy duty sitters as well. I am not one for drives. From what I have know, it seems like you only see does and fawns in drives. Big bicks either hide out and let you pass, or sneak out. I avoid running shots so driving isn't for me.