Author Topic: Private v. Public  (Read 974 times)

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Private v. Public
« on: August 23, 2006, 01:53:58 PM »
With rising taxes and hunting land fetching in some areas over $2,000/acre.. Who needs private land these days?  Minnesota has thousands and thousands of acres of Wildlife Management Areas, many holding more deer than most private land.  So besides for investment purposes, what's the good in owning land these days in MN?  The only advantage I can see is 1) You can keep all of your stands up year round, 2) You can manage the deer on the land with vitamins, food plots, and everything else to produce big racks and healthy deer..

I guess I'm kind of partial on the issue.  Being a landowner myself, it's always good to know there are deer where I am hunting during all seasons, as opposed to public land where deer may move from one area to another.  Another advantage of private is obviously no other hunters to bother you or the game you are trying to hunt (unless you live in WI  ;) )

For anyone new to hunting Minnesota, anyone without the money to pay for sometimes-over-rated private hunting acreage, hunting WMA's is the way to go.  Most of these areas have been untouched by the human boot.  For a list of WMA's in Minnesota by county, click http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/wmas/index.html.

I'd like to know everyone's take on this.  Some of the biggest bucks I have had the opportunity to see and harvest were taken on state land.
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline RipOne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Private v. Public
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 12:08:14 PM »
I'll hunt wherever I'm welcomed ,,,,,,, but have had some situations on public lands in the smaller acreage locations.
David L Hunt ... Breath 1-2-3 Pulse-Pull

Offline USMC0332

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Private v. Public
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 04:13:16 AM »
I used to muzzloader hunt in the Mille Lacs Management Area, the Rum River State Forest, and the George Washington State Forest. It is fun to hunt on different land and there are beautiful places to watch nature that never sees farming nor has to share with cattle. On many of these public lands, if you go more than a mile from your car you see few hunters. I have a few favorite spots I like to at least sit for a few hours every season, as they are so beautiful. I never go into the woods without at least a flashlight and a compass. I have used the compass more than once to find my way out. I know others that have spent cold hungry nights in the woods because they have not had these items. Bring enough stuff when you hunt these places or you may regret it!