Author Topic: Who Would Put Extra money into one?  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Re: Who Would Put Extra money into one?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2006, 03:57:44 PM »
Well I've got 9 barrels and 4 recievers and none are really that accurate.The 223 will shoot .6" and the 22 250 was shooting about .5" until it shot loose after 70 rds. When we held the first Handi rifle Praire Dog shoot there was more bolt guns showed up than Handi's. The second P.D. shoot was the same thing. Some of the Handi's were very accurate and consistant but mine were not.Even Dan and Wes the host were shooting there AR 15's this year.
When I hunt at home though,I'm usually grabbing one of the Handi's ( usually the 280) and going hog hunting every eve. in the winter,except in the brush after the big one's. Yes these guy's spend alot of money somtimes on the Handi's but  they like them alot.Yes they can give you alot of headaches(read some of the posts) but the service dept.will fix it for free.The most recent failures are the transfer bar falling out in your hand and ending your shooting on the spot.But they can all be fixed and usually made to shoot under 1". I for one like my serious guns to shoot 1/4" and less and that why I carry a bolt gun when its a serious hunt.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline tanoose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2006, 11:57:21 AM »
I had and sold to a friend an ultra hunter in 223 that gave under an inch and still does at100yards  my dad could get his 30/06 to all touch at 100 my 25/06 isn't fine tuned yet and i am getting around an inch at 100. My 45/70 is as accurate as my Marlin 1895 was and at 50 yards you would think i made a 5 shot group when it was actually a 10 shot group. Maybe iv'e been lucky but iv'e yet to see a handi that didn't shoot well.

Offline Hildy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2006, 05:26:57 AM »
I will agree with the man that they are cheap factory guns, however, their price doesn't reflect on me modifying the sum bitches.
If I can make it better, I will do it. I am just that type of person. A tinkerer. As are most of us on this forum.

Offline Lives2hunt

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2006, 06:15:36 AM »
My take on this is that the Handi has proven itself to be an accurate, versatile, dependable, fun, cost efficient, light weight yet strong, and enough caliber choices to do it all. I never think twice about taking any of my rifles or shotguns (and I own some very nice & custom firearms too) because they are all meant to be shot...and hunted with.  Some may cost more but each one has a place in my heart.

I don't want any of them to be scratched or dropped but if it happens, its my fault and I'll live with it.
But every firearm & hunt adds great memories and I'll treasure every one of them.

Will hunt for food.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2006, 07:47:22 AM »
I own many guns, somewhere around 47 I think.  Quess you could say I'm a collector.  Any way when it's time to go hunting I usually grab a Handi, Why?  Because it shoots just as good as the rest, better than some, It's durable, and has never failed me.  Plus why carry the extra weight of something else.  OK, I'm now into long range shooting and carry a Weatherby, but the Handi is still right there on the Handlebars for fast shots when needed. 

Handi and Leatherman go along togeather, both conveniat and neccessary for life as I know it..
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline hipshot300

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2006, 09:45:17 AM »
There is alot of money spent for very little gain?

Yep. Same thing goes with my old pickup, and wife. It's my choice to do on the things that I like and love.

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2006, 01:49:37 PM »
But of course buying a Handi may be the reason that we have the extra money to put into one of those.  ;D
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline warf73

• A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2006, 06:16:17 PM »
"Handi Rifles are Cheap" wooot good thats why I buy them. I'm a want to be gunsmith and I get great joy out of these Handis.

Nice to see ya all again hate to say its on a bad subject but nice to see everyone again.

Warf
"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
a jar of jalapenos.  What you do today, might burn
your ass tomorrow."

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2006, 12:07:51 AM »
Ha Warf , how you been buddy and were the heck u been .  ::)
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Gandalf

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2006, 11:50:39 AM »
One thing a person must keep in mind here is we are on the internet.You can post anything you want within reason.Ive seen pictures posted of little groups that they say were shot at 100yds and I know they were shot at a distance more like 25yds.People also post alot of other things that just are not true.I keep this in mind every time I visit a talk forum.
ROFLMAO!!!  You must be from Texas if you think 300 feet is only 25 yards.  (Texans:  no insult intended!)  Yeah, I posted a picture of a halfway decent group (I've seen many better groups from others, so I'm still working to improve on it.)  It took many loads with several different bullets and powders before I got to where I'm at with this rifle.  The first groups out of my handi (.223 Ultra Varmint, 24" bull barrel) looked like they came out of a shotgun.  Of course, I'll admit that I've never taken a tape along and measured the 100 yard range where I shoot; I've just assumed that the other 1,000-plus members know a 100 yards when they see it.

I'll let you decide how far away I was:

BTW, as to your original question:  Some people take the stairs instead of the elevator not because they must, but because they choose to...

Offline wgr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2006, 01:22:48 PM »
got a question for buckwalka y would u not trust a gun that will kill a 4 r 6 point whenever u want on a payed hunt.i have 450 in a 50cal round ball shooter  that i would trust on any deer hunt got a bc that i would trust oa anything in north amercia  payed r not a 1in group is a 1in group weather im usint my 1000 dollar sako r my so called cheap guns
never to much gun

Offline Gandalf

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2006, 03:38:24 PM »
wgr, y bn txtng 2 mch on ur fone.  U shd try usng hole wrds.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2006, 04:00:55 PM »
wgr, y bn txtng 2 mch on ur fone. U shd try usng hole wrds.

I'll second that!!!
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2006, 04:32:09 PM »
wgr, y bn txtng 2 mch on ur fone.  U shd try usng hole wrds.

What he said!
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2006, 09:01:17 PM »
Ya know, whenever somebody comes along and tells me how I should spend my money or live my life, I just smile, shake my head a bit and mutter an occassional word that would be bleeped on family television. I just get puzzled and wonder why such a person really cares what I do with my own resources.

Is he some kind of do-gooder or left-wing kook that has run out of normally important kook issues like banning something (gun control comes to mind), affirmative action, or the rain forest, and has stumbled across this site and just wants to take care of us whether or not we need or want his attention?

Personally I say, if he is that serious in his concern for my financial well-being he can PM me and I'll let him send me some money. I promise I won't "waste" the money he sends me. I promise to buy an expensive rifle with it. And an expensive scope. And an expensive case. Heck, I'll even have it customized if he likes. And yeah, 'll take all those expensive toys on a trip to Alaska or the Yukon... just don't tell him I'll take one (or more) of my Handis or Ultras... just as back-up ya know, in case the fancy one gets out of whack.

I kinda think the guy's just power-trippin' and trying to stir up folks because he's bored and has nothing much else that's compelling to do. (my mother called people like that $h-t disturbers). Greybeard hit the bullseye with "...folks like you who seem to get no enjoyment from life unless you are making life miserable for someone else."

However, if that was what this guy Buckwalka (or Jeff223) intended, it didn't actually work in my case (and truthfully, I didn't notice anybody else on the thread who sounded miserable either. I heard guys making their points clearly, making no excuses about why they own, shoot, and modify their Handis, and having not the slightest sense they were "wasting" anything.

And as far as I'm concerned he didn't make my life the slightest bit miserable, in fact, he just provided an opportunity for me to appreciate my Handis even more! I think I'll order another barrel!! ;)

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2006, 12:44:25 AM »
well spoke gentlemen !!! not much  i can add ,  sems  he was run out of town again on a rail maybe a handi scope rail ????????? hahahahhh graybeard yur some columbo!!!!

Offline RemingtonMagnum

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2006, 01:17:54 AM »
You guys don't understand what I am saying.I am not bad mouthing them in any way.All I am saying is the Handi Rifle does whats its suppost to do right from the factory.NEF offers them in the calibers that they need to be in.When a guy puts all that extra money into a gun that can be dropped into the mud and you don't feel bad about it why do it?Money spent on something like this is a waste.Put that money into something that will last and might bring you a return someday.

Like I stated above I own two of them.Would I ever depend on one of them on a paid hunt?The answer to that one would be "NO" but off into the brush after a local 4 or 6 point?The answer would be "YES"Or would I send a kid off after his first buck or doe?The answer would be yes.

Like I said im not bad mouthing them in any way

We need to reverse this question???? WHAT gun can you buy and pay to customizzze and sell for what you have in the rifle????? Honestly I would not expect to ever get my money back. It just the tinkerererer in man that makes him want to chang something and be able to "Say I made it" myself!

Don Jackson Remington Magnum/Ultramag

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2006, 11:24:22 AM »
well spoke gentlemen !!! not much  i can add ,  sems  he was run out of town again on a rail maybe a handi scope rail ????????? hahahahhh graybeard yur some columbo!!!!

Got to agree with you,and graybeard,you the man!!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline tmccray45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2006, 04:47:57 PM »
I have 5 Handis and all are "plain Jane" models.  No modifications, no extra do-dads.  I'm not too interested in modifications so I guess you could place one of my feet in the camp that enjoys shooting the standard Handi.

However. . .

I can understand those that that like to tinker.  My Dad enjoyed tinkering with just about anything and it was a marvel to see what he could do when he set his mind to something.

Why do some people like to take a "stock" car and modify it?  Maybe drop a different engine in it.  Maybe put new heads on it.  Maybe trick out the interior.

Or why do some people enjoy growing the largest tomatoes when they could settle for a regular ol' tomato? 

Or enjoy playing around with electronics?

'Cause that's what they enjoy doing, that's why.   They get satisfaction in modifying a car engine, or in growing the largest tomato, or in playing with a ham radio.  It allows them to express an inner need - to try to make something better.  Or just different.

Maybe that's why some people take a "plain Jane" rifle and play around with it's looks or performance.   And, that's OK.
"Work: The New Retirement"