Author Topic: Lymann hollowpoint  (Read 700 times)

Offline Olav

• Trade Count: (0)
Lymann hollowpoint
« on: September 29, 2006, 07:09:49 AM »
Has anyone tried bullets from the Lymann 429640cv 1 cavity bullet mould?(hollowpoint)
If so,do you think its suitable for hunting?Or will it just explode with no penetration.
Small antilopes and deer will be the target...

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Lymann hollowpoint
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 08:16:35 AM »
  I haven't tried THAT bullet but other HP's did NOT explode on impact unless deliberately driven to fast. Alloy and velocity will play a big part in the expansion you get from any HP. Big flat noses kill just as good as HP's and some times better(though I don't know what is any deader than DEAD!)! I've had the hollow fill with fur/meat on heat treated bullets and NOT expand at all. These were from .45 cal bullets shot into cattle carcasses that were shot length wise,shoulder to hip. SOME exited after about 4 feet of penetration.In my opinion Lyman#2 alloy is the hardest  I would use with HP's.One part tin to 10 lead is better and maybe softer yet is better!

Offline lutefisk louie

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 05:35:38 AM »
if you want to try some i think mount baldy bullets makes some hp's.
louie

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 11:53:53 PM »
I shot one doe with that bullet cast out of 5050 ww/pure and shot out of a muzzle loader in a sabot with 100 grains of pyrodex and it flattened the deer and did alot of damage and gave an exit wound. Probably a little extreem for that bullet but it did penetrate so at least some of the bullet held together. It would proably be  a great whitetail bullet out of a handgun. Darned thing shoots real well out of a few of my 44 handguns too but i just never got around to killing anything with it in them.
blue lives matter

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 04:41:29 AM »
Here's a link to comprehensive information on these bullets  http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=7   jhalcott's assessment of HP performance in general correlates pretty well with my own.  The Devastators, the .44 in particular  with its GC design are designed with WW alloy in mind and reputed to do a little better.  I ran out and got all the Devastator moulds when they came out but havn't shot a deer with the .44 yet.  I like Lloyd's idea of the softer alloy in a ML in a sabot.  I bet that was a sight to see!
Everybody changes their minds sometimes but a fool and a mule.

Deceased

Offline Olav

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 03:25:34 PM »
Thanks for a lot of good information :)
So far I have just tried this bullet with my standard alloy,wheelweigts added 2%tin and 2%antimon.This alloy gives me hard bullets,too hard for this bullet I think.But the accuracy is good,under one inch at 25m.The load was 22gr Vitavouri N110-1408f/s from my 83/8" Smith 29.
Will try to cast with WW+2%tin.
Its not a bullet for mass production,it was tricy to make good ones,it took me 2hours to make 100 bullets the first time :o

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 04:22:58 PM »
I swage my hunting bullets from .40 cal to the .50 and some .452 for the sabot for the .58 front stuffer for Illinois Deer and the rest for Mich. Deer.
All of these bullets are swaged PP Hollow points swaged with 1/40 tin lead. I have yet to find one still in the Deer they all pass through, as do the Cast GG cast at 1/40.

Kurt
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.