Author Topic: All around handgun  (Read 2388 times)

Offline zipperzap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: All around handgun
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2006, 06:32:14 AM »

Without risking being called a braggart ... I have collected a goodly number of
hand guns of all sizes and descriptions for 50 years. I've bought and used just
about every imaginable foreign and domestic caliber including just about all
the Smiths and Rugers.

For carry, in the Alaskan forests in the Spring and Summer, it's the Smith 500 -
hot loaded - hands down (replaced my LARS Griz. MkI).

Everywhere else, jeep, boat and horseback, it's my old trusty 1972 Security Six
(stop laughing).

Been soaked in salt water, fresh water, dirt, grime, and horse slobber ... and has
kept right on tickin! She (usually) gets cleaned once a year - full cleaning, that is!
Has been used and not abused and it looks as if she's going to outlast me at 61!

Guns, in particular, are a very personal matter. What 'feels good' and 'has balance'
for me may not for you. This 'Six' has been tuned and is a 'natural pointer' (again,
for me) and has been with me on most of my 'adventures' that include 30 years of
off road racing, Baja fishing/dive trips camping all over God's Creation from Cabo to
Barrow to The Keys to PEI. Never a failure and never a parts replacement. Full house
.357 for serious situations and .38's for plinking around - can't be beat.

... but, that's just me.;D
“A man is but the product of his thoughts ...
if he thinks - he is.”

Offline dogwhisperer5

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2006, 06:51:37 AM »
   Do it right...find yourself a good 4" S&W 66. You'll never be sorry you chose the Combat Magnum!
Ernie Groves

Offline Archblackmage

• http://archblackmagi.tripod.com/
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2006, 06:59:19 PM »
I like a Dan Wesson 15-2 .357mag revolver pack for an all around handgun, with 2,4,6,8" barrels  you can have this for ccw and backpacking and hunting, and home defense.
search for dan wesson on the following auction websites.
www.gunbroker.com
www.auctionarms.com
www.gunamerica.com
Andrew S. DeCecco

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2006, 04:27:44 AM »
Hoo-ray, someone finally remembered the other Wesson. My old ('70's vintage) 15-2 VH is the most accurate revolver I have ever owned.

That said, my answer to the original question would be the Blackhawk just cause I like single actions.

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2006, 02:30:42 PM »
To me the all around carry gun would be a  3.5" wheel gun in 44 mag, ported and loaded with 44 sp. That is until they wake up and build one in 44sp, so the reloaders can bring it on-line.
My next choice is a 1911 Colt seires 70 govt. A great gun in urban areas.
Jim

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2006, 03:54:25 PM »
I love my model 29 blued 5" 44mag. I have used it for bagging deer, bullseye competition, and home defence. I also love my Springfield longslide V-16  6" stainless 1911 45 ACP since I have used it for bagging deer, action pistol competition, and home defence. They are both great all around handguns.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline C1PNR

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2006, 01:05:47 PM »
There really are a lot of good responses to your question.  I guess all I can add is to tell you what I carry when hunting and plinking are NOT on the menu.  That is an old Charter Arms Bulldog 3" 5 shooter in .44 Special.  Usually I have the shot load first in line, then a solid, then another shot, then 2 more solids.  Obviously when at home and self defense is the issue, the loads are all solids (actually Lyman 429215 w/o the gas check).

If you really anticipate needing shot for snakes, etc., the shorter barrel is better for "pattern" shape.  Rifling really does have an effect on the pattern and the longer barrel tends to give a doughnut shape to your pattern.  That is, a round circle of shot with an open hole in the middle. :o

However, if SWMBO gave me the green light for this "new" requirement, I'd probably go for a 4" to 5" S&W in .44 Mag or .44 Special with fixed sights. ;D
Regards,

WE