Author Topic: New rifle vs. replacement barrel  (Read 1077 times)

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
New rifle vs. replacement barrel
« on: August 29, 2006, 09:34:28 AM »
Hello, everyone. I'm newly-registered here, though I've browsed around some for months. I can't seem to get the search function to work so I'm posting a new topic. Apologies in advance if I've missed a previous answer to this question.

I have an NEF Handi-rifle I bought new (ordered from a local shop) a few years ago in 45-70. About 3 years ago I sent the rifle in to the factory to fit a Buffalo Classic barrel and sights to it. Now I'm thinking of a 223. I got rid of my AR this year (I find I just don't enjoy shooting semi-autos any more) and can no longer collect firearms in the way I once could. So, I find myself thinking that a NEF 223 would be just about right for me.

The question is whether to look for a whole rifle, or just send mine in to the factory again and have a new barrel fitted. Is there a difference in terms of quality of fit between a new rifle and a factory-fitted replacement barrel? It really only matters to me in terms of potential accuracy differences resulting from better fit from the one or the other. For other reasons, it would be somewhat preferable to me to have a whole other rifle. Any thoughts? Thanks fellows.
--Eoin

Offline MZ5

• Contributor
Re: New rifle vs. replacement barrel
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 09:47:07 AM »
I suppose I should add a couple things:
First, I don't notice any particular difference between my factory 45-70 barrel's fit and my BC barrel's fit.
Second, and this is an additional question, has anyone shot any 5.56mm ammo from a NEF 223? I still have a few boxes of SS109 laying around, but I know there are slight chamber spec differences between the 223 Remington and 5.56mm cartridges and that some people with some rifles get lots of stuck cases firing 5.56mm through a 223. Any such issues with the Handi-rifle?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 09:57:50 AM »
Welcome aboard!! ;) The search feature is turned off until the web master can fix it, whenever that will be.  >:(  I have a bunch of factory fitted barrels, most were complete rifles, a few are accessory barrels, they all fit good and shoot good too. I also have a bunch of barrels that I've bought used, they fit very well too and shoot just as well as factory fitted barrels, if they don't fit good, I make em fit, see the FAQ and Help sticky. ;)

All new .223 Rifles come with a warning not to shoot 5.56 NATO ammo in them.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 10:53:12 AM »
JMHO but for me the wait isn't worth the extra $$ another rifle costs.  I'd go complete rifle.

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 11:16:58 AM »

Hekko M25, Welcome to the forums, I would bot depend on just one action,
 Just like when you send action another barrel, No Shooting till it gets back.
 Just my opinion  I see another Handi-holic in the making ! Marv.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 01:41:54 PM »
I agree with the others, If you have the means to do so, go ahead and get another complete rifle. It's nice to have when your other one is getting fitted, and not to mention that the barrel getting fitted will have a good chance fitting up to your other receiver. Not always, but many times they will. Some of my best fitting barrels are ones I have bought second hand and fitted myself-very simple. 
As for Mil. Ammo... :-[ I admit I have used it in the past in my 223 Handi. It's not so much that it won't shoot, other than it won't shoot very accurately ;D Stuck cases are also normal for this kind of ammo. Whatever you decide my best to you, and welcome to GBO. I am sure you will be happy with you purchase. Just remember to read over the FAQs, there are some valuable info that will save you a lot of time in there.
-Aaron

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 03:26:50 PM »
I have to agree with the others.  Get at least a second full setup.  After that, either way will work.  But two actions means you can send one to the factory and still be able to shoot!  my 2 cents

Offline jack19512

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 04:09:22 PM »
There are benefits to having barrels fitted to your reciever but for some reason I would rather just have another complete rifle.   :)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 07:30:12 PM »

Welcome to GBO MZ5:

If you didn't have a trigger job when you sent it in last time...You could always have it done this time..Also...While it's there..you could have a steel forearm spacer..and steel trigger gaurd installed while they are doing the trigger job...(they have to have it taken apart anyways)...and while it's there...Why just settle for just 1 barrel...for basicly the cost of a complete rifle(depending on where you buy it)...heck you can have 2 or 3 barrels fitted...and this is exactly what I would do...Pick up a nice 22 Hornet...or...a 204 Ruger/22-250/243/270/280/30-06/308/30-30/44 mag/357 mag...Whatever pleases you...They all are good...

I've had some super nice fitted barrels and some of the best trigger jobs on any rifle I've owned done by Jon the gunsmith at NEF...He and his assistant Brian do a outstanding job there...If you elect to go the extra barrel way...Make sure you include a extra letter in your package when you ship it back and adddress it to Jon..when you do...Let him know what you want done..this way there is no mix up..and has alwasy helped me...My last 2 barrel set done by him..locks up on a .001" feeler gauge...and the trigger pull...well...lets just say it's better than my Timmeny trigger I had on my Weather Vangaurd...and it was adjusted perfectly...

Good Luck...and let us know how it goes for you..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline MZ5

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 02:19:05 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, fellas! Mac, your post intrigues me. I did not know that NEF would do trigger work. Any of the rifle manufacturers I've happened to try to talk to about it in the past say no before I even get the question out. I've seen web pages describing how to do the trigger work oneself, but I really don't want to push all the pins and experiment at this point. Do you remember what they charged you last time? Ballpark range or a PM is fine.

There's a semi-local shop to me that is extremely competitive on these guns, so a whole new rifle isn't all that much more than an accessory barrel. Plus, I have been thinking along the "two rifles are better than one" line.

Thanks again, guys!
--E

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 02:35:29 PM »
Get the Fluted barrel Varmit model in 223.............you will Love it!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 03:34:06 PM »
When you send a frame in for extra barrels, they don't charge anything for a trigger job, same if you're having other work done, just git er done!! They'll reduce it to about 3lbs or so, if it's already that light, they probably won't touch it.

Many first timers have done their own trigger jobs here following the instructions in the FAQ, it's a little daunting at first, but it's not really hard at all. My first one took about an hour once I made the slave pin, now I can do 2 or 3 in that time if they don't take much honing, some take more than others tho. :D

Tim

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 07:15:03 PM »

MZ5...Yup...they will lighten your trigger pull if it's over 4lbs..and Jon at NEF does a fantastic job of it...If the price for a whole new rifle is fine with you...then by all means go for it..everything that has been said in favour for an additional frame is correct...One just has to look at Quicks modest little collection to see how he feels about it ;)   http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,97591.0.html...me...I don't have the room for all of those...and certainly not the time to shoot all of them either :D...Heck...most the time I sell off my different barrels to one person or another...to help defray the cost for something new anyways...but I've got it pretty much down to 2 frames now..and might pick up 1 more...I dunno...I've got a couple more rechamber/rebore jobs to make happen in the next year or 2 so..I may spring for a whole new gun as well...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Bear Rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 09:30:37 AM »
Anyone know what the problem with the 5.56 is?

Does this include US military 5.56 as well?
Flintlock! Anything else is imitation.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 10:15:56 AM »
All milsurp....

http://www.thegunzone.com/556v223.html

On a related issue, H&R may discontinue the 7.62x39, if they haven't already, due to shooter complaints about misfires by those that insist on using milsurp ammo in them.

Tim

Offline tanoose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2006, 03:19:37 PM »
I went with a new rifle rather then a barrel they wanted 110 for a 25/06 barrel + 15 to fit and then it cost 10 to ship total of $135.00 I bought the whole rifle at wal-mart for $199. 00 + tax.