Author Topic: cannon accident  (Read 992 times)

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
cannon accident
« on: September 04, 2006, 12:40:23 PM »
http://www.mtexpress.com/2000/09-06-00/9-6cannon.htm

This happened in September 2000 in Ketchum, Idaho. Sounds like they didn't wet sponge.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Artilleryman

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: cannon accident
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 01:29:15 PM »
I have to wonder about the flour and diesel fuel to. 
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline rusty barrels

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 05:04:46 AM »
Also sounds like they didn't wait long enough between shots. I'm still learning but I see too many accidents waiting to happen. I've watched the Seafair pirates during the Seafair parade firing their what appears to be one inch cannons and reload with no waiting in between. I like to sail on old tall ships and I see unsafe practices there too during a battle sail. I wonder when a person get to be really good at it if they don't get too complacesent, sometimes that happens to the best of us.

Offline civilcannon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 08:41:16 AM »
Re cannon accident: we always ware heavy welding gloves and hold the rammer with palms up with a  loose finger grip, after wet spounging  of course :

Civil Cannon

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 10:28:51 AM »
Not only can you have a tragic accident, but here in PA, our District Attorney's don't like anyone with cannons.   If someone gets hurt or killed through accidental discharge, or explosion, they'll charge the owner with negligent homicide in a heartbeat.   A poor fool near Gettysburg is doing 6 years, because his  cannon blew up and killed a family member at a 4th of July picnic.   State Police told me I need to get a pyrotechnics display license just to legally fire my cannons.     Now I don't believe for a second that the guys who "recreate" at Gettysburg get a Pyromanic license to fire their cannons.   

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 11:27:27 AM »
v
Bill Johnston, 50, was tamping down the charge immediately following a firing of the cannon...

..."We’ll have to re-examine our procedures," Deeds said.

He said future cannon firings might include a wet swabbing of the barrel between shots.

The accident appears to be the result of poor loading techniques.  They did not wet sponge or allow enough time between shots.  It is a wonder an accident didn't happen sooner.