Author Topic: your job  (Read 1416 times)

Offline countryrebel8174

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
your job
« on: April 06, 2006, 12:50:53 AM »
i have worked for the les schwab company (we are the biggest tire store in the north west) for about a year now. im leaving my current postion to work on a shipping crew with the same company working 3, 14 hour days with the possibility of as much over time as i want. this is going to work out great for hunting season because i wont ever have to use my days off to hunt. its actually a great place to work(even though i have to train 5 new guys before i can move up to my new job :roll:). this is the first job i can say that about. the pay aint to bad and the benefits are awesome. i was just wondering what you guys think about your job...yea....or nay.

country rebel
they can try and take my guns....but i aint givin' em up until all my shells are gone or i quit breathing.

Offline williamlayton

your job
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 01:55:59 AM »
My job has its good and bad points.
My job has only two employees and the other one is my boss. We get along pretty good though the boss seems to have need of micro-supervision and direction.
I have the good fortune of being able to thwart some of this supervision by having the ability to be away from close scrutiny much of the time.
The pay is reasonable and allows me some amount of disposable income.
I guess by this point you must have realized that I am retired and my boss is the Hen, my wife. :shock:  :-)  :oops:
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
your job
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 07:20:54 AM »
I'm retired so I have no job except whatever I feel like doing on a given day. I get up when I feel like it, go to bed when I'm sleepy, eat when I'm hungry and in general do nothing except what I want to do when I want to. Of course the pay ain't great but the bennies are.  :)

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline countryrebel8174

• Avid Poster
your job
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 04:10:22 AM »
yea i cant wait until i too can retire, but i have a good 25 to 30 years until that happens. you guys are really lucky, but i suppose you already put your time in so i guess you earned it. its gonna be really hard for me to not work when i retire so i think im gonna have to buy a ranch with some moo cows other wise ill go crazy.

country rebel
they can try and take my guns....but i aint givin' em up until all my shells are gone or i quit breathing.

Offline jhm

your job
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 04:17:00 AM »
Like william and G B I also am retired, BEST DARN JOBI EVER HAD and like all the others I do as I darn well please, I have a small cattle opperation that allows me some TAX incentives AKA breaks that is and it provides for a few extra scheckles to spend, I never had a bad job vary long as I was willing to leave and get something better, went to work at abt 12 yrs of age and will do something for the next 2 to 3 hundred years unless something important takes me away. :D    JIM

Offline countryrebel8174

• Avid Poster
your job
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 04:52:36 AM »
i have a question....for your retirements what did you have to contribute?
here at les schwabs we dont contribute anything and we have guys working 30 years and retiring with close to or more then a million dollars. how good is this? sounds pretty good to me but then again im only 25.

country rebel

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
your job
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 08:04:13 AM »
While a million bucks sounds like a lot of money at the current interest rates it doesn't really return you much of an annual paycheck. I worked for the Federal government and retired on Civil Service Retirement. I actually paid in a bit less than $50,000 during my 30 years there. I draw a few bucks shy of $2000 per month after all the taxes and other stuff come out of it. Not a big income at all but it pays the bills and lets me do what I want each day rather than going in to work.

I retired five years early at age 50 rather than waiting until age 55 which is considered full retirement age in Civil Service so it cost me about $1000 per month that I could be making now had I stayed those last five years. Some times I regret it but mostly I don't. I needed to go for many reasons so took an early retirement option and have now been retired for about 11 years.

We suppliment it with the little bit of income from this site and from our blueberry farm and do OK.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Savage .250

your job
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 08:41:02 AM »
I find retirement to be very serious work. Not in the sense of it being
    physical but much more mental.  If your not disciplined  in your
     selections of activities the day has a habit of slipping away from you.
   So, that being said, i never let my "power-naps" interfere with any meal,
   TV ball game or general BS time.
    The "Honey-due" list is constanly under review. Don`t want to rush into
      anything.
    Daily fishing on the river (during the week) is some much nicer than on
    week-end.  I remember well what that was like.
    Nobody wondering where i am/was.  You guys still working know what i
    mean.
    The wife is always telling me." your driving me crazy." My reply is for
     her to get a job your driving me crazy!   I wonder if i should sleep with
     the BR door locked?   :)                                                              
      I will say though that retirement takes time to get used to (as stated
      above) so with assists from all the leisure time/activities  i`ve found
      i believe i`m on the right path.  7 yrs in and still learning. Life is good. :D
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Questor

your job
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 11:23:41 AM »
Most Americans retiring today do so with a net worth of under $300,000. Somehow they make it work. Notice that this includes the value of their home and other material assets.

If you expect to work for another 25 to 30 years sit down with a spreadsheet and calculate how much in 2006 dollars you want to earn, what inflation will do to that number, and then figure how much you'll need to invest monthly to make that target. It'll shock and depress you, but it might motivate you to find ways of making more money too.  Figure you'll need about two million in net worth, then don't figure more that 6 or 7 percent return on investments.
Safety first

Offline williamlayton

your job
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 01:13:05 AM »
Being retired takes some amount of planning, direction and restraint--kinda like it did when you were working.
I try and keep some form of schedule to my day. I plan one day for the next. I try and keep active as I have witnessed a number of folks, over the years, who retired and then just quit and died.
I do not think it is ever good to quit.
I leave the weekends for those who would have need of them--I try and keep behnd the curb--and do what I want in 5 days instead of two. I do as much physical activity as I can and doo things which use my brain(well now, the Hen would say I have no brain, most of the time I think she is correct) and keep up on things.
There are the daily BS coffee sessions, golf, shooting, yard work and tending to the grandkids, kicking around THIS town, keeping up with the finances and worrying about what you folks is gonna come up with next.
CRS helps a lot.
BTW GB, I can't remember if I asked you for sometime off this summer. The Hen has a plan for a vacation but I have no clue as to when or for how long as she said it was not mine to know. She said she would tell me when I needed to pack and until that time not to worry. Therefore I can only let you know when I know.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Blink

your job
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 02:12:46 AM »
I'm a lead mechanic at a GSE shop here at the airport in anchorage. The company I work for is pretty good. By trade I'm a heavy/diesel mechanic. pays decent, bennies are great and time off is not a problem.

Offline magooch

your job
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 03:35:27 AM »
I've been retired for a bit over three years and what I can't figure out is how I ever found time for work.  Heck, I can hardly find time to keep up with my shootin.
Swingem

Offline slide-flipper

job isn't bad...
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2006, 06:52:43 PM »
Been in the US Air Farce for almost 19 years... day to day is pretty good, benefits are great.  I get a free gym, pretty good health care, a chance to see the world (Mississippi, Alabama, Virginia, Belgium, Germany, Maryland and then there are all the countries I've been TDY to or visited... 19 at last count along with 43 of 50 states.), 30 days paid vacation a year and the pay isn't terrible.  I'm just an E-6 and we get along pretty well even with 4 kids.  The main problem is getting time off during hunting season.  Seems there is always an exercise or something like my troops going on leave during that time.  I'll probably stick around for 2-3 more years and then punch out.  With retirement and disability pay I shouldn't have to worry about bills and food.  I'll work a good job for 3-4 years to pay off the retirement property and then be done for good.  It's hard sometimes to find a local place to hunt when you are only there for 2-3 years.  End up doing a lot on public land just because it is close and available.

slide-flipper

Offline grousehunter

• Avid Poster
your job
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2006, 06:53:02 PM »
all I can say is back when I was 21, I had a independently wealthy lady tell me to make sure I put $10.00  a week away for retirement and I'd never have to worry! the good lord knows now, I wished I had put $20.00 away weekly! for my kids today I tell them $50.00 a week and that prob. wo'n't be enough!

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
your job
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2006, 08:08:09 PM »
I spent 20 years in the Air Force, then 10 years Civil Service as a pipefitter.  I'm now retired with 30 years Civil Service.  (I converted my military time).  I retired here in Alaska, so I now consider my new job as Hunting and Fishing, full time.  My only problem is the wife refuses to retire.  She spent 20 years in the Air Force also.  Now she is the Claims Examiner at Ft WainWright here in Fairbanks.  So I hunt and fish alone most of the time.  That's OK, this way I don't have to put up with someone that don't do things my way.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
your job
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2006, 01:10:40 AM »
For all of you retired guys with so much "spare time" (GB) you might think about starting a Hunting Bulletin Board on the Web :)   I've been a civil engineer for 25 years.  I've spent the last 18 in the same job, at the same location, with the same company designing and specifying facility and infrastructure construction projects for the Aerospace Industry throughout the world.  Sometimes I get to go to some really interesting places.  But that is a different post.  There are quite a few of my co-workers with 25+; 30+ and 35+ years here.  One with 40+; one with 45+.  The work is satisfying, most of the time, and the work environment can be summed up as: If our 40 hours are in, the work is on-time, under budget, and the clients are satisfied, the Boss does not care if he sees us during the "regular" 8-5 work week (M-F).  Woo-hoo!  :eek:  One hitch, the Federal Government fixes its annual budget in the Spring and Summer then allocates the dollars to the Bases, Aerospace Contractors, and subsidiaries in the Fall (usually early October each year).  With the influx of "new" money, our client's back burner projects take on new life.  That plays havoc on November-through-January hunting seasons.  I take two weeks vacation annually in late October and early November to go hunting in South Carolina and it means a lot of extra coordination to meet the Boss's/Client's expectation as outlined above.  Somehow it all gets done.  

Land Owner
If it was easy anybody could do it.

Offline Hammerspur

• A Real Regular
your job
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2006, 02:41:17 AM »
I'm employed as a mental health worker at our state's institution. The most trying part of it is dealing with some of the people the caliber of which public service hires, often management and administrative level personel. :?
When people ask me about my work, they often say something like "That must be difficult?" My standard response has become "I'm so tired of working with the mentally ill...and the patients can be difficult at times also." :-D
I have only apx. FOUR more years before I can switch to Bill's job, and I can barely wait! :x
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline biglmbass

your job
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 05:51:35 AM »
GB,

So you changed your mind on the blueberry business?   :D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
your job
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 10:58:51 AM »
GB,

So you changed your mind on the blueberry business?

No not really. Faye told some of the regular customers they would be allowed to come back and a few of those her and Phil pick for they would continue to pick berries for them. The sign is down and we've not done the normal spring preparation to prepare for customers and have no plans to advertise or to open to the public this year. Now that "could" change I suppose in any year that a truly huge crop was on the bushes but it's doubtful it will.

We've instead taking steps to increase the income via the internet to not only offset the loss from the blueberry business but to in fact increase our total income. There will be several new internet ventures announced soon.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline rockbilly

your job
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2006, 12:23:18 PM »
:D I will be moving to the good job of retired on 2 Jun.  After 2 years with the Texas Parks and Wildlife, 23 years active military and 27 years civil service I am ready.

Mama and I are considering selling our home, moving everything into one of the rent houses and hitting the road for a couple of years.  If you see a blue FX4 Power Stroke pulling a Montana fifth wheel trailer with a sign painted on the back that says "Your Tax Dollard At Work." then that will be ole rockbilly.  gimme me a honk and we will stop for a cup of java...... :)  :-D  :wink:

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
your job
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2006, 12:33:51 PM »
yea, if you come through Hillbilly Country, let me know!
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline countryrebel8174

• Avid Poster
Re: your job
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 09:17:10 PM »
well i will have been with the job for a year on the 15 of november..and that means i get my vacation which i will be using to go on an elk hunt with my grandpa...probally the last one we will go on together :-[
thank god for vacation.

country rebel

Offline countryrebel8174

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 09:18:21 PM »
i meant 15th of september...ooops

Offline no guns here

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 10:00:53 PM »
Old thread but after rereading... I have decided that Sourdough is my hero...

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline countryrebel8174

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 10:05:06 PM »
yea i wish i could have a "job " hunting and fishing like ol sourdough....25 years and then ill be living the dream... ;D

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2006, 03:30:02 PM »
I LOVE MY JOB!!!!!! Iam an autoworker for Honda of Alabama.Best job I've ever had.Only thing that makes me mad is it wasn't here 20 yrs. ago >:(.Oh well,that's life.If I can't just make it to 66.Still have a whole bunch of "toys" I NEED.Ok,I want.Same thing :P.Maybe I'll hit the lotto Friday night and it won't make any difference 8).............Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"