Author Topic: "Best" Rounds for 2-different rifles  (Read 941 times)

Offline Oregonjohn

• Trade Count: (0)
"Best" Rounds for 2-different rifles
« on: October 01, 2006, 05:38:27 PM »
Greetings from the Oregon Coast.
This is a hellofa general question.  Knowing that each rifle has it's own favorite fodder, I hesitate to ask such a generic question.  But, here goes, son has a Marlin .270 and I, a Ruger 25-06.  We have in the past purchased the lowest priced ammo (w/o regard to bullet weight, brand, bullet type, etc) at local Marts for our trips to the Oregon woods.  This year, we both wish to step up and purchase some better fodder for both of our rifles.  The more I read, the more confused I have become (unfortunately, too easy these days).  Soooooo many types of bullets, soooooooo many bullet weights, sooooooooo many brands.  So I ask, what factory brand and bullet type and weight would you recommend as a starting point for both rifles for black tail coastal range deer?  Mostly woodsy with some open clear-cuts...heck, most of it is a rain forest during hunting season here.  Anyway, any advice on ammo for the .270 and .25-06 would be MOST appreciated.
I thank you for any help you can provide.
John in Oregon

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: "Best" Rounds for 2-different rifles
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 06:14:41 PM »
I've never owned a rifle in .270 Winchester yet that won't shoot Hornady Custom ammo with the 140 grain bullets into less than an inch at 100 yards. Same for the Federal Premium load with Nosler 150 PT. That is where I start when I get one. In fact in spite of all my reloading efforts I've never yet bested those two factory loads with my handloads. So I practice with mine and shoot theirs when it's time to get serious.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 07:18:36 PM »
I assume your hunting deer? If that's it, I'd look at mid range weights in the 270: 130, 140 and 150gr. So many bullet's and all have their champions and their detractors so choosing a brand get's fairly mind boggling. No bullet that I know of has the track record of the Remington core lock, and no I don't use them, never have. But its hard to look away from all the success stories found on these sites. Are there better bullet's? Maybe but the best bullet misplaced is worthless!

In the 25-06 I'm still with the Remington core locks, think I'd like the 120gr. In my 25-06 I use 117gr bullets and love them. Thats the heavyweight in 25 cal. Some will say the 100gr and it will likely work. The 120gr is a personnel opinion based on my use of 100gr and 117gr bullets in my own 25-06.

If you really want confused, reload. You seldom read of anyone that is not using the best bullet made, ya gotta choose your expert!
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 03:43:28 AM »
Its hard to argue with success and Core Lokts have been bringing home the venison for a lotta years.  I don't think any sort of magic bullet is needed to kill a deer so the garden variety of rifle fodder should work well.  That means you can afford to buy a box of Rems, Horns, Feds, etc and see which one does the best in your rifle without breaking the bank.  And the practice won't hurt neither.   ;)

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 04:01:21 AM »
Told ya I don't use core lokts; I can't eben spell it! :D
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 05:29:25 AM »
I have a Ruger #1B in 25/06 and I currently feed her 120 grn Fusion.  They are pretty cheap (19.00 a box, which is cheap for 25/06 in this area.)  I previously shot 117grn Hornady SST.  It shot great and took some deer with the Hornadys.  It shoots better with the Fusion, but I have not had a deer present me with a shot yet.  However, before I switched, I did some research and couldn't find many or consistant complaints with the Fusion.

WylieKy
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline Oregonjohn

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 11:45:37 AM »
Well, as it has turned out, the fodder for both rifles has been Remington Core Lokt...150 grain for the .270 and 120 grain for the 25-06.  Not a lot of choice in ammo here on the coast, but a trip to Eugene here in a week or two should expand the opportunity to find other brands, etc.
Many thanks for your answers...and good hunting to all!
John in Oregon

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 02:06:46 PM »
Boy, if I answered your question as I practice, you'd be out a lot of money.  See I'm one of those guys that has to shoot the "next great ammo" that comes out each year.  However, in reality, your Remington Core-Lokts are all you need.  If your rifles shoot them well, stick with them, and practice often, and cheaply.   Or, if you are like me, start with the Nosler Partition, then go to the Ballistic Tip, then the Ballistic Silvertip, then the Accu-Bond, then the Winchester XP3.......See What I mean?  Those are just what I've been through in the last 4 years with my .270 alone!  Don't get caught up in the hype.  Stay with a good bullet that shoots well and you will kill deer.  I'm a helpless case, you can be saved!

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 02:08:01 PM »
Boy, if I answered your question as I practice, you'd be out a lot of money.  See I'm one of those guys that has to shoot the "next great ammo" that comes out each year.  However, in reality, your Remington Core-Lokts are all you need.  If your rifles shoot them well, stick with them, and practice often, and cheaply.   Or, if you are like me, start with the Nosler Partition, then go to the Ballistic Tip, then the Ballistic Silvertip, then the Accu-Bond, then the Winchester XP3.......See What I mean?  Those are just what I've been through in the last 4 years with my .270 alone!  Don't get caught up in the hype.  Stay with a good bullet that shoots well and you will kill deer.  I'm a helpless case, you can be saved!

Offline billy

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 03:10:22 PM »
I have always had good luck with federal premium ammo,have two .270 and both shoot 130 grain in a inch sq. at 100 yards , three shot group.
I enjoy collecting guns, swaping and staying up on all the newest models. I deer, quail, squirrel and rabbit hunt.

Offline flintlock

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 04:38:09 AM »
My brother and his son have used Federal Premium 130 Sierra BTSP for years, never had a problem, they group well and leave a good exit wound...They are also group very consistant from box to box...

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 05:06:30 AM »
A very good inexpensive load for the 270 is the 150 grain Power Point. Not overly destructive, good penetration and always has shot well in my 270's. I have used this factory load ongame more than any other as I am always buying it on sale to shoot up for the brass.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 04:32:21 PM »
I use Winchester 130 grain Powerpoints in my .270 and 120 grain in the same ammo for my 25-06. Never lost a deer with either one.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Oregonjohn

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 07:57:45 AM »
Hi.  I live one-shipping day from Outdoors Marksman.  I ordered and received Winchester Power Point for both the 270 an 25-06, (plus a box for the Marlin 30-30) an some Federal Premium here in town for all for all three.   Gonna go out today and check out the 3-brands, plus for the funofit, the AR, the Garand, and a couple of Mausers to plug a couple of menacing mountainsides... ;D
Thanks for all you input.  If anything drastic happens with the three premium brands, will report it...just shooting paper today.
John in Oregon