Author Topic: The best worst hunt ever!  (Read 604 times)

Offline 7x57

• Trade Count: (0)
The best worst hunt ever!
« on: September 30, 2006, 08:54:40 AM »
Hello All,

I have moved from my beloved East Kootenays to Anahim Lake in BC's Cariboos, to accept a job teaching High school.  It's a good thing I'm big and can shoot passible. ;)

Anyways, I have never been to this area before... It sure is wild...and isolated!!!!!  I went out about a half hour from town to an area where the locals said there were only cariboo and goats and I managed to shoot a decent three point (western count) whitetail. I started walking a trail above Poison Lake, about 2kms in I found a mound of grizzley scat that I can only describe as IMPRESSIVE!!! If the caliber of that turd is any indication of the size of the bear, I don't ever want to run into it! 
I turned around then and there; I was almost back to the road and was sort of daydreaming when the buck jumped out on the trail 40 yards in front of me. It would be hard to say who was more surprized, me or that buck, because at the first sight of brown fur I had a flash back to the grizz turd. 

The rifle came up awful quick!!!!!

That buck ran straight away from me down the trail, I whistled and me came to a stop and turned broadside for me. He was 110 yards from me (paced later) and at the shot he pulled up the front leg closest to me and tipped over. The first shot out of a clean barrel in my rifle is always about 4 inches higher than where I'm aiming so, I usually fire a fouling shot before I go out. I forgot to do that this time so I spined him. GOOD THING TOO because I tore up my ankle playing soccer the week before (Doc said it was the worst tearing he'd seen in his career) so I didn't want to have to track him very far through the bush. That 160 grain grand slam smashed the top of both shoulder blades, the spine, and exited. Bone fragments messed up the lungs.

Loading him into the trunk of the car, alone, with a bad leg was a challenge!  Shooting that buck, alone, and crippled, out here, has made me a bit of a local legend and has granted me a huge level of respect. I'm not just some city slicker "Nedo" (means white guy), from down south anymore. Some people doubted it was actually a white-tail, and some doubted that it was taken anywhere within 2 hours of here, but the butcher testified that he watched me skin it outside of his shop. Plus, the next day to satisfy his curiousity, I took him straight to what was left of the gut-pile. That has silenced the critics.

I can't recommend hunting alone, in a remote area (by Canadian standards!), a week after a terrible injury, but I love to hunt!  That whitey rack will forever have a special place in the "man room" of my house.

Now, how about about your "Best, worst hunts ever"?

Get as close as you can, then get ten yards closer.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: The best worst hunt ever!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 03:24:14 PM »
Too bad you took the butcher to the spot of your hunt.  Now everyone in town will know where they are and you're going to need another spot.  On the other hand, you can't be too bad off in grizzley country with a twisted ankle by yourself killing local deer that "aren't there" by local standards.  How are the High School kids in CA compared to the lower 48?

Offline 7x57

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 08:02:57 AM »
I'm not too worried about competition, this is smack in the middle of nowhere with a total official population of 1500. The actual year round (read 8 months of winter) population of the entire area is more like 800.

I don't have much experience with American high school students, but this school is rougher than most Canadian schools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's a public school technicallly, but it mostly serves the reserve. 
Most reserves up here are more like stereotype inner city USA than Canada, high crime, lots of violence, high poverty, neglect,

The older brothers of two boys in my class just finished up their trial for beating up, dragging behind a pick-up, branding, then attempting to castrate (they got one nut),
a kid from a town (Bella Coola) 1 1/2 hours away.

Offline huntmdown

• Huntmdown
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 08:14:06 AM »
Competition is good, skill and strategy can not be robbed! 7x57 I wish you the best of luck this season! 8) Way to go on that trophy and half your body strength!
my sweeter insanity... www.huntmdown.com

Offline 7x57

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 08:54:30 AM »
Thanks Huntmdown,  That rack is destined for a bleached skull mount in my "Man Room".    I might just drag my carcass up into the hiils after a goat this aft.

Best of luck to you this and every season.   How many deer can you take where you are?

Offline huntmdown

• Huntmdown
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 09:35:34 AM »
Welcome!  ;D ;D ;D ;D Your man room!!!!! ;D ;D That's a good one! I wish you luck on that goat! How you gonna call it in? Never goat hunted before.

My husband I got (3) doe tags and (1) buck a piece!  The morning of the Wisconsin OPener he landed a trophy 10 pt buck and I got my first doe ever (be gentle I only been physically hunting for 1 year) been behind the camera for 6 years!

my sweeter insanity... www.huntmdown.com