Author Topic: Ebay presses that can be gotten and will swag bullets?  (Read 1432 times)

Offline JBMauser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Ebay presses that can be gotten and will swag bullets?
« on: October 27, 2006, 02:41:00 PM »
Other than the Corbin and RSC presses I know that the A2 press is built to swag or can handle it and it seems the Hollywood single collumn press sells for big bucks when it comes up.  I know there is the Herter's press like the mighty mite that seems to take CH style dies.  I bought a Swag o Matic on ebay and have accumulated a handful of dies.  I have also read (ABC's of Handloading '74) that the half jackets stunk because of leading.  Herters made a regular press that could swag, No. 2??  I know the RCBS rock chucker press now offered is the the same press that was the original swaging press.  The new lee press has a honking ram.  But I know there may be some cheap buys out there that can handle the chore.  Can we build a list? Thanks JB

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
Re: Ebay presses that can be gotten and will swag bullets?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 02:28:53 PM »
Well, I found out that the Herter's Super O press was built for swaging. 
Their model like the Might Mite was the 9 Ton press.  Any other oldies on your benches?  Thanks in advance.  JB

Offline iiranger

• Contributor
Read...
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 08:32:44 AM »
The Corbin brothers have books on their web sites, download free... no pictures!!! oh welllll... [corbins.com (dave) and rceco.com (rich)]  In his writings Dave has clearly stated that any large press suitable for case forming will be adequate for swaging small diameter jacketed bullets, .224, .244, short pistol bullets; AND it will do most jobs with pure lead bullets, even the longer rifle bullets if the power stroke is long enough for the given bullet. Short, pure lead .50's no problem. Long pure lead .40s, problem. Power is in the end of the stroke due to the multiplier/knuckle. Ask and engineer, this is about my limit.
SHORT ANSWER: Any cast iron, full sized press for reloading.
From there, think of the "out of business" names. Texan? Baer? Pre Hornady Pacific? CH has changed hands a number of times. If you want cheap, and the press is not worn out, unlikely, or stored poorly and rusted to junk... I had a Rock Chucker Jr. once that was marked "liberty"... exact copy out of California... This is where I would look. Herter's seem to have a following, and I don't pretend to understand all the in and outs of that --??-- orangization... but there was Ruhr American out of the same address. Dig and I think you can find your item. luck

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
Re: Ebay presses that can be gotten and will swag bullets?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 05:03:55 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I should be OK for now with my two RCBS Rock chucker presses but I have been digging through my older manuals and digests and have started to build a list of older presses as you stated that have swaging listed in their specs.  these are all cast and most are reinforced with more metal that standard reloading presses.  I missed out on a Herters super O that was built for swaging but I will lurk on some others.  Thanks for the response.  I think this topic  could make a good stickie or saved post if we could accumulate a comprehensive list for newbees like myself to get their toe in the water so to speak.  a $300 press and $100 dies sets is barrier to entry to see if it is of interest.  JB