Author Topic: 20 ga USH ?? on old Huntsman  (Read 534 times)

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
20 ga USH ?? on old Huntsman
« on: September 05, 2006, 04:10:39 PM »
I have a 1976 .58cal Huntsman muzzleloader now.  Got it reeaaallll cheap and would like to use it for deer hunting or for the kids when they get to deer hunting age.
The receiver/frame is an sb-1 and my current .50cal Huntsman barrel fits into it fine.
Since it's pre-1987 I can't get a barrel from NEF fitted to it, but between me and a gunsmith, I have no doubt it can be fitted ourselves.
My question: What do you all think of looking for a 20ga USH barrel to shoot saboted slugs thru.  This gun would be for deer hunting only so the rifled barrel only is no problem.  I've read that shotgun pressures are fine with the sb-1 receiver and although I've considered trying to find a .30-30 barrel, I should just play it safe and look for a rifled slug barrel (which, from I understand, is the USH)
Thank you for looking and for any responses.
Great site!!      :)
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: 20 ga USH ?? on old Huntsman
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 05:36:18 AM »
The biggest problem would be the firing pin is designed for #11 caps, not 209 primers. You could have the barrel fitted to your Huntsman frame though.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 07:16:10 PM »
You say the firing pin would be a "problem", but would it still work?
I'm very new to all of this, but it seems like the larger firing pin wouldstill ingnite the primer on a shotgun shell?
Am I way off base? Should I give up altogether and realize this will be a .58cal muzzleloader only??
Thanks again to everyone reading and responding.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 12:46:17 PM »
I do not see this as being a problem. have to tried the barrel to the receiver? how much is required to "fit" it?  Does it close and latch?

If it where mine I would try it, if everything else was good and safe  I would shoot it.

Snap some pics of the firing pin hole...On a low pressure round like a shot gun I don't think a larger FP hole will cause any problems... On second thought, just sell the barrel to me. I would HATE to see you try something obviously this dangerous!  ::) ::) ;D ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 02:02:47 PM »
From what I've researched, I also don't think the firing pin would be a problem, but I'm going to leave this one as a ML. I was just asking about shotgun barrels, I don't actually have one  :-[     They seem in pretty high demand from what I'm learning   :o
I've got a few guys who might want a ML--and this is in pretty nice shape.
If they don't want, I'm going to take some pics and try to sell it. 

I'm thinking I'll just send in my new Huntsman receiver to NEF and have a shotgun barrel fitted to it.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 02:15:25 PM »
Of coarse I was teasing you, in our last post...

I would be VERY interested in purchasing you USH 20GA bbl. Please keep me in mind if your do go this route.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.