Author Topic: Diamond Bax Ranch TWO THUMBS DOWN!  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Ironwood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Diamond Bax Ranch TWO THUMBS DOWN!
« on: February 26, 2003, 07:16:33 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:oops: Just got back from a hog hunt on the Diamond Bax Ranch near Lampasas. I gotta tell ya. Being from Texas that place was a real embarassment to me!  :oops:  After being assured, by the owner, the 13 of us should be able to take 25 or so hogs, not only were there no hogs to be seen there wasn't much game of any kind except, raccoons, rabbits, and turkeys.

The automatic feeders, that did work, only ran for about 5 seconds and the little amount of corn dispensed was quickly gobbled up by turkeys or raccoons.

There were 6 or 7 very small pigs seen, and three of those were shot. They looked like they were all from the same litter (which makes you wonder) and only weighed about 20 pounds or less. Not one grown hog was spotted in 1-1/2 days of hunting by 12 people. When the owner was confronted, about the shortage of game, his only comment was, "Well you got one, at least". He was real scarce after that.

The promised Barbqued Hog for Saturday night turned out to be some kind of boiled pork (not browned at all) and a banana pudding. When 13 guys consisting of some growing boys and a few "healthy" men such as myself can't eat something, you know it's got to be bad.

I won't even go into the accomodations. Just let it suffice that I now know how a sardine feels.

If this sounds like sour grapes let me assure you it's not. I took 3 hogs this past deer season just 15 minutes from my house. I drove the 250 miles, a little over 4-1/2 hours, to meet some of my internet friends and because of the generous amount of game that was assured us. I got to meet the friends, and had a great time with them, in spite of the poor hunting.

If you are considering a hog hunt in Texas, you would be well advised to look someplace other than Diamond Bax Ranch of Lampasas, Texas
GO GREEN--RECYCLE CONGRESS

Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.

Offline jim dorrance

• Trade Count: (0)
Diamond Bax Ranch TWO THUMBS DOWN!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2003, 04:59:16 PM »
[went on a 5 day elk hunt in raton, new mexico-sept 2001.
it was great! killed a nice 6/5-9inch bases long tines 302 points un official
the hunt took place on berry ranch--a working cattle ranch owned by
john@patric Berry  if you can find nicer people than these folks i would
like to know where. also saw 2 larger bulls scouting,more turkey than
you can hunt!    patric Berry--505-445-2944
you wont be sorry. need more info--jim Dorrance--814-258-7681
james w dorrance