Author Topic: shotguns explained  (Read 1061 times)

Offline stillborn

• Trade Count: (0)
shotguns explained
« on: September 08, 2006, 09:55:13 AM »
Well Im relatively new to the shotgun scene so I have a few questions.  I just recently discovered NEF and their stuff seems really cool!  I was looking for a smoothbore 12 guage that I could shoot some birds with, or whatever else I wanted.  But I have a question, what is a choke,(full, modified)?  Can I shoot the rifled slugs out of a smoothbore? 

I was looking at the pardner turkey gun because it has the shortest barrel (24 inches)  will that be a pretty rough kick in this gun?  How much would it cost to get it cut down to 18.5 inches?  Would that kick pretty hard?  Ive shot a Win Defender before with birdshot and that kick didn't bother me at all. 

What do yall think?  Would the Turkey gun in 12guage be a good way to go for an all around shotgun?  Are there any other crazy things that I need to know?

if I can't decide on the shotty, Ill probably end up getting their heavy barrel .223

thanks,

still

Offline pshaw

Re: shotguns explained
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 11:36:46 AM »
First, choke is the restriction at the end of the barrel.  Cylinder has none, improved Cyl has only a little, modified is more and is a good all around choke when you don't have tubes full is even more and extra full (Turkey) is the most.  The more restriction the tighter the pattern.

All far as an all around shotgun.  Get a Pardner 12 with a modified barrel.  You can get a youth 12 Ga  barrel that is only 22 inches long.  If you cut a barrel you lose all choke and end up with a cylinder bore which has a restricted range unless you have it bored out for choke tubes (expensive).  Cutting a barrel is easy.  The hard part is getting the bead back on the new muzzle.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 02:11:51 PM »
I am no shotgun expert, but I shoot them for fun and for some aspects of my hunting.

...  Can I shoot the rifled slugs out of a smoothbore? 

Yes. Rifled slugs..Forster type slugs..shoot very well out of smooth bores. Especially from Modified Choke barrels. With Full+Chokes being avoided for other reasons.
Sabot Slugs were designed with Rifled Slug barrels in mind, and shoot well out of barrels like the Tracker2 and Ultra Slug Barrels.

I was looking at the pardner turkey gun because it has the shortest barrel (24 inches)  will that be a pretty rough kick in this gun?  How much would it cost to get it cut down to 18.5 inches?  Would that kick pretty hard?  Ive shot a Win Defender before with birdshot and that kick didn't bother me at all. 

What do yall think?  Would the Turkey gun in 12guage be a good way to go for an all around shotgun?  Are there any other crazy things that I need to know?
Pardner Turkey.. good choice in my book, that is if you plan on using your shootie a lot. Chokes are fairly cheap, and you can switch them out easy enough. If you want a shorter shotgun, then you can always pick up a youth 12ga with a 22" barrel..
http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx
If you bought this model, I wouldn't cut it down by any means. Fixed Choke barrels are easy enough to come by, and you can pick up a Pardner with a Modified or Full Choke for cheaper than a Pardner Turkey. Hate to waste a good barrel with a screw in Choke.
As for Price if you decide to cut one down? My friend Terry the Smith would be better suited to answer that....http://www.lowcountry-gunsmith.com/
As for Kick, yes they kick. It's about the lightest shotgun out there. A lot different than shooting a Pump or Semi-Auto -the lightest kicking of the bunch.

This is a little that I have learned from my experiances of shooting shotties. I am more of a Target bench shooter, long distances, Varmints, and deer hunting.
But I still use my shotguns for when the needs arise.

...if I can't decide on the shotty, Ill probably end up getting their heavy barrel .223...
A good 223 is never a bad idea  8)

My advice, for what it's worth. Buy a 223 Handi in the config you want, for around $200, and then send it in on what barrel you really want.. EDIT..what barrel you decide is best for you..there's many to choose from..

1Gun to do it all.
Hope this helps a little
-Aaron

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 06:10:22 PM »
Aaron,

I don't think Customer Service will drill & tap a 12 ga barrel. I hear they will a 410, but not sure about any others. They might do a 20 ga, but have never heard of anyone getting one done at H&R/NEF. ???

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 06:16:34 PM »
It's funny you posted this.. I seen that in the past 06 catalog it mentions drill and tap -10ga....
 bead sight 12ga... why no 12ga D&T barrels? NONE... bogus.  Didn't realize this :-[
Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Perhaps one day we can have a factory 12ga barrel that is drilled and tapped.... till then I guess I'll have to turn to other means 8)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 07:12:26 PM »
There is not enough meat in the chamber area on a 12 ga. The 10 ga is only D&T'd for a Scout mount in the middle of the barrel away from the chamber. But they D&T the 12ga Ultra Slug, being it is a 10ga blank with a 12 ga chamber and bore. The 20ga could be done without a problem, just not sure if they will do it.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline stillborn

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 05:47:25 AM »
I think I like the length of the turkey gun with a 24 inch barrel with an overall length of 40 inches.  It looks like a good gun.  I could use it for other applications if i change the choke?  Like quail or dove or whatever?  Oh ya,... how much does the Turkey gun usually run for?

Can the recoil be reduced by using the 2-3/4 inch shells as opposed to the 3-1/2 ?  I doubt I would be shooting anything larger than #4 buck shot in there.  Most would probably be bird shot.  Would I be better off getting a 20 guage?

thanks for the help!

still