Author Topic: skinning and cleaning for shoulder mount  (Read 453 times)

Offline joshco84

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
skinning and cleaning for shoulder mount
« on: September 19, 2006, 04:57:51 PM »
if i happen to shoot a deer this year big enough to mount (very good possibility after seeing last years deer crop), how do i clean the deer to prepare for this??? i know to stop splitting it at the ribs, but do i need to skin it off of the neck and shoulders? or do i let the taxidermist do this
Smells like country, Tastes like rock and roll...... Want to find out more??? www.crosscanadianragweed.com  The all time greatest band ever.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
Re: skinning and cleaning for shoulder mount
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 06:19:56 PM »
i've done both... caping takes time and is hard the first few times, particularly around the mouth and eyes.  I'd take the whole head to the taxidermist along with the hide.  On a my just finished archery elk hunt in montana the taxidermist met sucessful hunters at the meat processors.  I liked that arrangement.

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 03:01:23 AM »
most tax. want you to stop the gutting incision at the strenum.then take the cut around the chest of the animal.the leg, make a cut on the inside of the legs from hoof to shoulde are where the leg would go into the shoulder.then start shkinning up to the neck,as fa as you can go.then break the neck remove head and cape.keep the animal cool.and the cape.give the head to them..they will finish the skinning.
on the legs when I said the inside.hmm the incision would run down the elbow.if you reallly don't understand what to do and are looking for a quality mount..just gut the animal from pelvic area to sternum and pack the cavity with ice and take it to the tax.they will do the rest.takes them less then 10 minutes to do what they need to do and send you on your way...hope this helps a little.
my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.

Offline joshco84

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 04:42:59 AM »
yeah it does, but i think i will call the taxidermist i am going to use and see what his specific instructions are just to be safe
Smells like country, Tastes like rock and roll...... Want to find out more??? www.crosscanadianragweed.com  The all time greatest band ever.