Author Topic: WHAT IS A GOOD WEAPON???  (Read 828 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
WHAT IS A GOOD WEAPON???
« on: November 09, 2006, 11:46:22 PM »
I read many post here, and they are good, honest questions and replies, on what a good gun is.
From my point of view, I tend to divide these thoughts.
I would like to have examples, to own, an example of each.
I would like to own a good working early Colt 1911. I would like to own an example of each manufacturer. $$$$$$$$
If I could own each, I do not think I would put each into the same catigory though.
A Kimber, for example, might not be in the same catigory with a Sig or HK, nor would a Sig, HK, or Kimber be put into the same catigory with an old Colt.
Less expensive examples would be fun to own but not be in the same catigory as any above.
IMO, if one wants an gun, one must first define--for hisownself--what he/she wants and expects.
Expectations are the key here--not the owning.
I have bought weapons with certain expectations of the weapon only to discover, after $$$$ spent, that I was expecting too much of a particular weapon. Its design and manufacture were only for a cloning. The actual weapon only looked like what I wanted.
The old 1911, for example, is a good looking weapon and holds a lot of naustalgia, but for all its worth as a historic piece, it does not do or meet the expectations of others.
It does not have to be a 1911, semi-auto even, it just looks like what I wanted. What I wanted was something else or another weapon that actually fit the expectation criteria.
IMO, again, criteria is the word that defines the weapon.
It does not have to be  a Burns Custom, Baer, name a number of folks, it has to fit a criteria.
Most of the time, for me, is that I can trust it to go bang and not kaboom.
My criteria are not your criteria, just MY criteria.
I have detemined that I spend less $$$$ on my criteria than I do if I do not define MY criteria and settle for only what appears to be/looks like my criteria.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline safetysheriff

Re: WHAT IS A GOOD WEAPON???
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 02:30:47 PM »
my idea of a good weapon or firearm is one that will get me and mine safely through the worst-case scenario that i/we will be confronted with.....

if it's feeding my family i want accuracy, reliability, and sufficient power.

if it's wartime i want all of the above and Volume of Fire!

(i just don't want to get my 'caboose' shot off.......)

ss'   
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 01:54:20 PM »
A good weapon is one that you can shoot accurately and quick if the need arises. It is one that you know all it's functions and can operate any of them in a nano-second.

Now, how does one find out which one that is? An old trick I found out on how one goes about doing that is the old mirror trick. Go to your gunshop, pick out several different handguns that you think you might like to have. Ask the gun shop owner if you can dry fire them at a mirror on the wall. Most gun shops have a mirror as some of them know the mirror trick also. Now place each handgun in your hand and see how it feels. Do several that way and narrow them down to the ones that just feel like part of your hand. Take each of those, aim it at the mirror and keep the front and rear sight lined up with the mirror image of both those sights. Pull the trigger and see if the sights stays lined up through the dry firing. If they do, then you have found a handgun that you will be able to shoot accurately. Give it a try and see if it works for you as that trick worked for me. My carry handgun, I did that way and I can almost stack bullets on top of each other at 20 yards.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 01:57:36 PM »
I see the message post counter is messed up once again.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 12:09:28 PM »
As said, a good weapon is one that will do what you want it to, when you want it to, and dependably every time.  Now that said, on a person note, it must also look good!  A Glock is a wonderful tool, but it looks like a tool.  A 'good' gun is also one that invokes pride of ownership.  We all have lots of guns that will do the job.  Now it is time to move up a level to something special.  It should be something that you would be proud to hand down to your Grandkids some day.  For me It would have to be a Colt 1911, preferably engraved.  Not a safe queen, what good it that?  You might better put a stack of $100 bills in the safe, if you are only going to take it out and look at it once in a while.  No, you want a shooter, but a shooter than invokes pride.  Colt Single Action Army, Colt 1911, Colt 1903, Winchester 92, S&W triple lock, to name a few of the possibilities.  You are hovering on the edge, waiting to make the plunge.  Go for it, you'll never regret it!  This one has over 500 rounds through it and it shoots wonderfully!  It meets all of the above criteria.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 01:45:54 PM »
   A good weapon is one that works when you need it to just as it's designed to work.  I could care less how a weapon looks since if it indeed being used as a weapon, the opponent isn't going to slow up and take notice of it's cosmetic beauty. 

"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 02:28:57 PM »
Yeah, I know.  And a woman can be a great cook and a fantastic partner, but all other things being equal, it really doesn't hurt if she happens to be pretty also.  A gun that's pretty can still excell in all the other area's also.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 12:53:58 PM »
I gotta agree with 44 Man.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 10:47:15 PM »
YUP!
I think I am gonna do one---just for fun.
I like tha purty ladies.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD