Author Topic: Very odd Webley  (Read 658 times)

Offline shotgunner

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Very odd Webley
« on: September 25, 2006, 04:23:02 AM »
I picked up the Webley MK 6 and it turns out to have a very odd bore. It seems to be without any lands or grooves what-so-ever! I tried a .451 lead bullet and it is a snug fit. I thought at first that is was leaded so badly that the rifling didn't show, but that does not seem to be the case. I am really stumped by this one. I thought the bore was going to be .458. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? All the numbers match and the gun is in , overall, very good condition. I am sure the dealer will take it back but, I want to figure out what is going on first.

Help, Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Hunter/ Trapper/Fisherman
Owner, Skyline Skeet & Trap
Gun nut
"Game butchery is as objectionable as any other form of wanton cruelty or barbarity; but to protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Very odd Webley
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 01:46:26 AM »
Shotgunner - not even a trace of rifling???  I can understand a totally worn out barrel in one of those old hoglegs but a smoothbore?   

Now ya got me wondering if the Brits used any, umm, 'special munitions' in some of their handguns which would have required a smooth bore? 

Maybe someone on the Mil-Surp Forum would know???  Mikey.

Offline unspellable

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 02:23:45 AM »
If it really is a smooth bore you may have serious legal problems.  Such firearms require federal registration in a manner similar to a machine gun or silencer (Although I believe the tax is less.)  Some state or local jurisdictions may prohibit them.

Offline Questor

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 03:46:08 AM »
If you don't mind my saying so, I've always thought all Webleys were odd.
Safety first

Offline shotgunner

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 04:26:03 AM »
The webley is going back to the dealer. I cleaned it with wipe away and there is not only no rifiling, but it seems to have some choke. A .458 bullet will enter the barrel and stop a couple of inches from the forcing cone. The muzzle is about .454. Too bad, it has matching numbers and is in pretty good shape. I think someone made a shotshell revolver out ot it. I remember reading the great Maj. George Nonte, making a choke for a 1917 and using .06 brass to make shotshells. I will look for another, and check the bore more carefully this time. Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Hunter/ Trapper/Fisherman
Owner, Skyline Skeet & Trap
Gun nut
"Game butchery is as objectionable as any other form of wanton cruelty or barbarity; but to protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 07:54:37 AM »
I suspect it's some sort of oddball original or else the barrel has been sleeved.  You really cannot replace the barrel as it's one piece with the upper frame and 0.454 is too small.  The original groove diameter is on the order of 0.455 to 0.456 and you can't make it smaller by boring out the rifling.  It would be possible to cut off the barrel and thread another in, but then you would have a give away seam like a mono-block shotun.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 05:55:10 AM »
Possibly a horse race starter pistol.
If so a standard round will not chamber in it .
properly. Used a strange looking blank.
I have heard of them but have never seen one.
That handgun may be super rare so I would check
it out really well before taking it back !!!
I have also heard of a Shot Version that was used in prisons
but I can find no solid evidence of that one ever existing at all.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 07:47:59 AM »
Just thought of an exception to what I said above.  I know of a Colt revolver leaving the factory with no rifling in the barrel, they simply forgot to rifle it.  I suppose the same could happen at the Webley works.  The dimater sounds about right for the bore before it has been rifled.

In any case, be aware of the serious legal issues involved.  You don't want to find yourself with your neck on the block.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 12:32:32 AM »
See QAuestors answer to this question down on the .45-1911 forum. It satisfies my mind.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD