Author Topic: Rear notch sight  (Read 569 times)

Offline pshaw

• Trade Count: (0)
Rear notch sight
« on: September 19, 2006, 10:43:53 AM »
Most shotguns have a rear notch, rib or secondary bead to aid in aligning the barrel.  Pardners don't have any rear reference point and I was wondering if any of you guys have ever added one?  I have seen used Pardners with notches filed into the receiver usually butchering the looks of the gun since it looks as if if were done with a common file.  Just your thoughts on the matter since the notch cut into a lever action barrel for the screw of the barrel-magazine band would be perfect for this if one wanted one and it was done right.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: Rear notch sight
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 02:46:23 PM »
I've be patiently waiting for someone to reply here, and noone has.  I have the same thoughts as you, about this.  That's when I decided to put a peep sight on my 12ga.  I just have a little lining up, with slugs and just using the bead.  I thought that would help. 
Just thought I would let ya know you are not the only one with this question.
cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 03:37:16 PM »
If I had the mindset to put a rear sight on my 20ga Pardner barrel, I'd just drill and tap it and put a WGRS on it, if I didn't have a drill press, I'd use JB Weld, which I've done before with my old savage double, only it was a front blade which is still on it after 15yrs of so now. ;D The nice thing about the WGRS is it can be used as a ghost ring with no aperture, so the barrel may still be used for wing shooting.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 03:43:44 AM »
JB weld, I could do...question is now, how do I get the darn thing centered on the barrel and plumb with the bead?  Are there special tools for this or can ya just lock it up in a vise and use a straight edge?  My idea was to make a pencil mark on top of the receiver in alignment with the firing pin, then close the action and use the bead for the other reference point and just draw a straight line.  I know, sounds kind of primitive way to do it, but that was my idea.  Any better ideas...would be appreciated.
cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 04:29:46 AM »
Just carefully measure. Take two straight edges along either side of the receiver and measure the center between them.

I made up a centering device that is adjustable. Kinda looks like a spyder. Its a cross with a small hole where the two pieces intersect. You lay it on the barrel and pinch the sides together untill they make conytact with tye barrel the hole in the center IS DEAD CENTER. Its useful for re mounting front sites on all the cut down barrels I seem to do!!  ::) ;D

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.