Author Topic: Shot lose?  (Read 358 times)

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
Shot lose?
« on: September 21, 2006, 06:20:39 PM »
I just got my Handi back from the factory 3 weeks ago with the 243 24" bull barrel and the 45-70 BC barrel.  I put 10 rounds through the 243 to get it zeroed with Power Shocks switched to the BC barrel to zero the scope on that barrel.  I think it was the day after I went out back to our range to finsih off the box of 243 I had about the 5 shot the barrel had alot of wobble in it.  Enough to the point where then rest of the rounds went into a 12" circle at 50 yards off the bench.  Mind you the first 3 shot group I fired was less then 1/2".  I took the barrel off did the pop can shim trick and it got tight again but the accuracy with Power Shock is around 2" at 100 yards, 12x scope mounted on this barrel, and Im not that bad of a shot.

I want to send it back and tell them to fix it but not this close to rifle season, any tips maybe I can get a little better grouping?  If not the 45-70 is going to be the deer rifle for this year with clover leaf groups at 100 yards from the bench with 405gr JFP and 500gr hardcast RNFP.

DK
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Shot lose?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 06:56:43 PM »
I'd contact H&R and ask em to fix it right, if you do a proper shim with epoxy, it will void the warranty. A temporary shim of better material than aluminum might work if you can keep the shim in place, I use stainless automotive feeler gauge blades, see the barrel fitting link in the FAQ and Help sticky.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 09:44:31 PM »

Call Gordon at NEF Customer Service and explain it to him...Tell him your situation...I don't know when your season starts...but if they rush it...they could have it back to you in time...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 02:31:02 AM »
Does the Trigger job void the warrenty?  I took mine all apart and polished the parts that need to be polished when you do a trigger.  For that little spring I cut a 1/4 of the a coil of it, about 1/32 of the top.

November 15 is opening day of rifle season but I want to be able to have it sighted in with all my barrels well before then.  I am going to see if I can get the O-ring trick to work if not I will drop the idea of using the 243 this year and stick mainly with my Huntsman Barrel and BC barrel.

I tried to epoxy the shim in when I first tried it, but it didnt work stick so I just cleaned it up and laid the shim on the hinge pin.

I am going to give them a call this week yet, just to tell them so they know and maybe I can get it sent in after my Deer seasons close up.

Dk
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 06:28:16 AM »
I'd be calling them right now, they should easily be able to get it fixed and back to you in plenty of time, specially if they know you have a deadline to meet. Be sure to talk to Gordon or John and send a note to the gunsmith with a detailed explanation of what's wrong. If your trigger job made it too light, they will return it to their default minimum. Be sure to ask them to reimburse you for shipping!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain