Author Topic: crooked forearm?  (Read 494 times)

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
crooked forearm?
« on: September 20, 2006, 06:40:53 AM »
I have a handi in 25-06 that I bought last year and the forearm pushes on the right side of the barrel.
Will this afect acuracy? Can i fix it?
There is a small gap on the left side.

Offline Greysky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.geocities.com/catman_56/Creative_Crafts.html
Re: crooked forearm?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 07:54:16 AM »
I had the same problem with the older 30-30 I purchased used. And - at least with my rifle anyway - it did effect downrange performance dramatically. It caused inconsistent stringing in all directions. So I sanded out the contact points in the forestock, and shimmed it with a rubber O-ring along with three thin metal washers. Problem solved.  :)
If at first you don't succeed, by all means try again. But if this doesn't work, give up, because there is no sense in making a darn fool of yourself.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 08:25:41 AM »
Welcome to GBO barr25-06!! This can be caused by a couple reasons, either the forend lug isn't welded on straight or the forend channel wasn't centered, as Greysky said, sanding the forend channel is the easiest fix. See the FAQ and Help sticky for accurizing tips included semi-floating and bedding the forend, and a lot of other info.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 11:10:54 AM »
have tried different "o rings" but it stile hits
also started to sand on it but thought I would ask you first.
Been reading your forum for some time as a guest
finnally had a question.

thank you

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 11:29:32 AM »
Like Quick said the sticky on accurizing is VERY helpful!!

There is a tool available for opening barrel channels. It works very fast. I have made a couple for-ends with one. You don't NEED it but it would make the job a breeze if you wanted to pick one up.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=6796&title=BARREL+BEDDING+TOOL

If you are just going to use sand paper, use a dowel and seal the channel once you have adequate clearance. Otherwise it could REALLY warp!!!

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 02:38:48 PM »
I had a similar problem with my .357 Mag barrel, but it was the lug welded on crooked and very crooked on the end the forearm mated to.  The synthetic forearm was pretty tough stuff and I finally resorted to a die grinder after trying less aggressive methods!  ;)  IMO, there needs to be clearance on both sides from front to back.

I was shooting my .243 the other day and it looked like a house wren could make a nest between the forearm and the barrel, but it shoots good!  ;D

BTW, this is what I was talking about on the barrel lug not being flat.  I did this in 2004 on this 17 page thread.
OK, here's what I think I have found out. The barrel stud is the only thing making contact on my forearm. #1 son got after it today with a die grinder and relieved the material in the forearm to ensure it was free floating. After that we took some Prussian Blue and shot that in the forearm to see what was contacting. There was a very thin line of blue on the barrel stud and that was all! Maybe you can see this good enough to tell what I'm talking about.

The barrel on the left is the .223 barrel that has had the contact surface cleaned up with a file (the Prussian blue should be visible). The right barrel is the .357 and the contact surface is rounded so there is a very slight ring that is the contact surface. (I guess I had too much zoom for it to be very clear)

Here is where I have cleaned up the contact surface on the .357 barrel. If you enlarge it you can see Prussian blue all the way around the the widened and flattened surface.

This is both barrels side by side after both have had the surface cleaned up.

The problem with the lug being rounded was that it would allow the forearm to "rock" instead of being stationary.  If it moves, all the floating in the world probably won't help, because the forearm can shift from side to side and that changes the barrel clearance every time it moves.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 08:48:20 AM »
I finally got back online. ( internet down for  days )

Will floting the barrel upset nef if I send in for new barrel?

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 08:56:49 AM »
will trimming the forearm upset nef when I send the gun in to get a new barrel
I would like to get a .223 after the first of the year

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 09:58:37 AM »
Probably not, there are those here that don't even send a stock with their frame due to the possiblilty that H&R might damage their stock set which has happened a time or two. :( Although H&R has been real good about replacing those stocks that have been damaged during barrel fitting. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain