Author Topic: what kind of range 7mm-08  (Read 1020 times)

Offline FATTTTDADDY

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
what kind of range 7mm-08
« on: August 31, 2006, 04:14:24 PM »
 i have hunted with 30/30,25/06 270 243 now i was thinking of a 7mm-08 longest shot would be 200 yrds

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: what kind of range 7mm-08
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 05:13:02 PM »
I took the second largest buck I've ever shot with a 7-08 from the 18.5" barrel of an original Remington Model 7 using Remington factory 140s at just about 200 yards. I didn't have a range finder back in those days and for sure there was no way to step it off. I was high on one hill side and he half way up the hill on the other side of the valley between us.

I'd have no hesitation at all in using it at 200 and well over if the set up was solid and I was steady enough to make the shot. It's a 300 yard round for sure IF the shooter is a 300 yard shooter.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 02:22:53 AM »
Again I have to agree with Graybeard, the 7mm-08 is a very capable 200 to 300 yard round.  If you are up to the task the 7mm-08 is.  ;D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 05:43:41 AM »
Youngest son, using a model 7 exactly like GB describes, shot our fartherest mulie to date at 284 long steps (paced in both directions). The round was a home made one using a 140gr NP, pushed by H4895.  Deer made one bound and as he gathered himself to make another, crumpled.

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 12:13:48 PM »
couple weeks ago my 14 year old son used his (semi)custom  remington 700,7mm-08 to shoot an african gemsbuck (oryx) at 300 plus yards.knocked it down it was a fatal hit.the animal just did not know it and got up and ran.he hit it two more times and knocked it down at 400 plus yards.I would say it would be an excellent cartridge @ 400 yards for north american game.
he was using barnes triple shocks.
my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.

Offline trophytaker308

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 03:08:47 PM »
i have killed der with it out to 380 yards,my friend has shot one out to 450,they both were one shot kills.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 04:37:10 PM »
It will shoot as far as you can.  Most people can't shoot past 250+ yards no matter what they tell you.  100 yards out in the field seems like three times that if you don't have a range finder.  It takes many years of practice with one caliber to hit targets past 400 yards.  I've tried and still can't.  The wind blows a bullet quite a bit at 400+ yards.  The question is, it maybe a one shot kill but how far did the animal run?  I like my animals to drop in their tracks and even with good shot placement, it is hard.  A 400+ yard shot is cheating yourself and the animal.  You are more likely to wound the poor animal.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 04:36:09 AM »
I've hunted with the 7mm/08 since 1983, and I'm here to tell you it is one fine cartridge. The longest shot i've made was 275 yds. One shot one kill. I couldn't tell you how many deer i've killed with it, but needless to say it has been a lot. It may possibly be the best whitetail deer cartridge out there east of the Mississippi. (and a lot of places west) It will kill them as far as you need to be shooting. ;)

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 07:19:23 AM »
I think you'll find that most, make that all, cartridges will kill with a well placed shot farther than most of us have the ability to shoot well. There are those that champion the 7mm mag out to 600yds, a very long ways. On a thin skinned animal what would make you believe that a 7mm-08 with a proper bullet would be any less deadly? A 22LR is reported to be deadly to 1 1/4 mi! That is a long ways and an absurd comparison but if a 40gr 22 bullet is dangerious that far at it's low muzzle velocity, why would a 160gr bullet at 7mm-08 not be?

The thing I find is that people tend to believe that magnum and 3000+fps cartridges work better a long way off because they 1) are easier to hit with and 2) have more retained energy. I think both thoughts are wrong. First they make hitting no easier. Hitting is a product of marksmanship, not trajectory. When you start shooting at ranges beyond MPB range, you need to become a much better shooter, not find a more powerfull cartridge. And many many rounds will penetrate more than well enough to reach vitals and kill an animal well beyond our ability to hit. Has anyone ever seen a bullet that stuck half in and half out of an animal or even bounce off? Again don't think so.

:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 02:51:30 AM »
I would say simply...as far as one can hit with it ;D.  Seriously it depends on the skill of the guy behind the trigger but I wouldn't feel handicapped at 300 yards which is MY personal limit.