Author Topic: looking at handi,s  (Read 899 times)

Offline Illhunter

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
looking at handi,s
« on: September 20, 2006, 05:15:12 PM »
i was wondering if any of you could tell me a good price for a handi rifle or does anyone know a place to get one cheaper i am thinking 30-06 to start off with i may get one have been thinking of getting a rifle i already own a huntsman i called wal mart and they said it is like $203 for a new handi also a good caliber to hunt deer or larger with i have asked this question  before i am going to get rid of a couple pistols to buy this new rifle. any help would be appreciated

Terry

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: looking at handi,s
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 06:38:10 PM »
An -06 will kill anything you will find in the woods, but then so will a .243 so it just depends on what you would like to have and how much you are going to shoot and at what.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Dillohide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 06:44:27 PM »
$203 for a Handi in 30-06 is a good price. I got my 30-06 at Bass Pro on sale for 199.99, regular 209.99. It is as accurate as my Winchester Model 70 30-06 ... or maybe I should say they both are accurate as I am. I hand load but found that the Handi really likes Federal Power Shok or Fusion 150 and 180 grain bullets. The 180 grain bullet muzzle velocity is 2700 fps with 2440 ft-lbs energy at 100 yards so you could hunt anything in North America.

Offline Illhunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 02:54:14 AM »
thanks i will hopefully be able to shoot it quite a bit if not for hunting  also plinking have never thought about 243 may have to consider that as an additional barrel for my handialong with a few other barrels thanks  for the help

Terry

Offline LEO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 07:01:01 AM »
Illhunter, do not buy a handi rifle, I can already see the problems starting.  It will be a 30-06 then a 243, then a 223 and then (gasp) a shotgun barrel.  It will never end, get out before you are like the rest of us and hopelessly hooked.  I absolutely love the handi rifles and I am sure you will too.  Just be ready because you will catch the fever. 

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 09:57:16 AM »
I think it is too late,he has the fever!The 06 is a good choice,then a 223 or 22 hornet for plinking,and like LEO said may as well get a shotgun barrel.I'm thinking of getting a 20ga,may as well just buy the gun for all they cost.Man I have the fever!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Illhunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 10:59:35 AM »
well the 06 will be first choice  but i agree it is almost cheaper to buy whole new gun instead of seperate barrels but do any of you know an average cost to get new rifle barrel fitted and shipped there and back the total cost that is and all i found the handi for $203 how close is it to just get a barrel for one that is a consideration i am hooked on the nef i own a huntsman and like the look and feel of it so i do beleive the handi is next thanks for the help also what is the average price for 223 ammo for plinking thanks again

Terry

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 11:30:50 AM »
From the west coast, cost is about $15 to get it there, less if closer of course. Barrel costs are $25 on top of the barrel price alone which is $15 fitting and $10 per barrel to return it to you. If you order a stock set also, you only need to send in the frame which reduces shipping to them a lot, much easier to package, too!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 12:20:36 PM »
Terry,
well the 06 will be first choice but i agree it is almost cheaper to buy whole new gun instead of seperate barrels

Terry,When I said it "may as well just buy the gun for all they cost",I was meaning for the shotguns,as this time of the year you can run onto some good sales on them and they are under $100 anyhow.As far as sending them back,I know a couple guys that goahead and get a couple barrels and a shotgun barrel fitted at same time.I bought a used barrel in 223 and it fit fine and shoots great.Plus I didn't have to wait,which I didn't want to do.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Illhunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 04:40:53 PM »
ok does anyone know the prices on the barrels i am in illinois so i would have to check on the shipping i have heard from some that it is sometimes cheaper to buy a whole gun than a barrel after the cost is completely figured i will have to check with the company that is something i can do next week i am not much on shotguns have found only a few that i would like to haveand they are not for hunting more for home protection i have seen some of the  nef shotguns for less than $150  at walmart i will be looking into the handi's more  seriously as future purchases thanks for the help

Terry

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 04:43:01 PM »
Barrel prices are on their web site. There's also a retail price list in our FAQ and Help sticky for stocks and such.

Tim

http://hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Illhunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 05:45:37 PM »
thanks for the link i looked at it it helped alot it will definitely help with the decision i am not sure what direction i am going to go but am not sure how much different the recoil would be with a single shot compared to a bolt action or lever action but a 06 is definitely my choice for a first rifle  but i do like soome of the other choices that nef offers and it is definitely cheaper to buy a nef over most of the bolt action rifle  so thanks alot i will hopefully have the money to get something real soon

Terry

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 04:32:44 AM »
thanks for the link i looked at it it helped alot it will definitely help with the decision i am not sure what direction i am going to go but am not sure how much different the recoil would be with a single shot compared to a bolt action or lever action but a 06 is definitely my choice for a first rifle  but i do like soome of the other choices that nef offers and it is definitely cheaper to buy a nef over most of the bolt action rifle  so thanks alot i will hopefully have the money to get something real soon

Terry

Being in Illinois...and being a slug gun hunting state...might I make a suggestion...Since you want a 30-06...I suggest buying it...and having a 20ga. Ultra Slug barrel fitted to it...Many folks here at GBO use them regularly for their deer hunting and love the performance they get with them..This will cover your in-state deer hunting...and any out of state hunting you may get...A set of Leupold QRW rings or Warne quick release rings and a good scope...and your set...you'll just have to rezero the scope between barrels when you need to till you can get another scope..

Perceived recoil is a factor with any rifle...and easily reduced with a good recoil pad..a soft cheek piece and a little weight in the stock for all Handi's..Slugs are notorious for being heavy recoilers..and setting the gun up to reduce the recoil is always recommended...

Mac

You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...