Author Topic: Help Me With My Decision PLease  (Read 580 times)

Offline Biscuits

• Trade Count: (0)
Help Me With My Decision PLease
« on: October 28, 2006, 02:24:55 PM »
HI all,
I am getting ready to purchase my next handgun and I can't make up my mind. MY two choices are the Glock 20 10mm and Springfield parkarized GI .45. I want the gun as not only a fun blaster but also something to carry while out and about in the woods for small game as well as protection. We have bear, coyotes, and couger here in Oregon as well as a few strange two legged critters as well. I did own a stainless GI a while ago and I customized it and then sold it two a friend. I greatly regret selling it and not keeping it stock as a khock around gun like what I'm lookin for now. I realy want this gun to shoot point of aim at normal ranges I hate it when a fixed sighted gun shoots off especialy windage.
Here are my reasons:
1911 GI .45: A little less expensive, ammo much cheaper/widely available(I do reload but I dont want to start right away for this pistol), feels awsome in the hand, all steel/very solid.

G20 10mm: Its what Ted Nugent uses!, more powerful/better penetration, holds over twice as many bullets, probly more reliable, probly better accuracy.

So what do you guys THink?
Thankyou all
"Meat Is Meat When It Is In The Pan, No Matter How Big The Horns Were."

Offline Prof. Fuller Bullspit

• Avid Poster
Re: Help Me With My Decision PLease
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 02:51:16 PM »
Have you ever shot a Glock? If not, you should try it as not everyone likes them.

Basically both are brilliant designs and both function well.  The .45 has history behind it, the Glock has more "firepower". The .45 has a thumb safety, the Glock has a trigger finger safety.

I like both designs, but I feel more comfortable with the .45 than with a Glock. I'm perhaps over-cautious, but I worry about putting a Glock in a holster and having a bit of clothing or a retention strap getting in the trigger guard because that can cause an  unintended discharge. There's something reassuring about a positive thumb safety such as found on the .45.

If it came down to a choice, I'd go with the .45 personally, but that's as much determined by personal preference than by any solid objective data.

Offline Zcarp2

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 03:45:34 PM »
If the 1911 feels good in your hand, go with that.  The Glock is a different feel. 

Factory Ammo - go with the 45 if money is a concern.  Shoot more and have more fun!

Sounds like you just needed to be "enabled".  Congratulations on your impending puchase!
Zcarp2

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life." - - - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 05:14:41 PM »
Go for the 45.  My brother has the 10mm Glock and I had the opportunity to shoot it.  It was okay.  I've never cared for the look of a Glock and after shooting it I was not that impressed.  Plus with the 45 you'll have a better selection of ammo at a much better price too!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 06:20:53 PM »
Another vote for the 45ACP 1911...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Biscuits

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 06:54:30 PM »
Thanks you guys are great! I'll let you know what happens
"Meat Is Meat When It Is In The Pan, No Matter How Big The Horns Were."

Offline bearfat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • "Nothin but giant rats with stubby little tails"
    • Deer/Bear hunting Northern Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 07:37:19 PM »
I have the Colt Delta Elite in 10mm which would be similar to the Springfield I guess. I remember looking at a Glock 10mm and it was quite large. Too large and it may be a turnoff down the road.

They make a blued Colt Delta 10mm still? Probably the same price as the Glock?

When I head up to the cabin and make a choice between my big Desert Eagle .44 mag or Colt 10mm, the smaller Colt makes the trip. Like you say plenty of power for bear problems, not that the flying ashtray (.45) is a pipsqueak but you can get 600 plus foot pounds of energy out of the 10mm. 

I do reload for it using Blue Dot and Hornady 200 gr bullets. Remington is making some fairly cheap 10mm factory ammo these days under their "UMC" brand.

I was faced with the same .45 or 10mm question when I bought mine. The issue was settled when the State of MN allowed the 10mm caliber as a big game caliber.

bearfats cabin:    http://buckmountainchateau.com/

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 12:54:37 AM »
The 1911 45ACP is my choice of the two.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 03:59:50 AM »
Two world wars, hundreds of smaller wars, and millions of altercations........how can you possibly improve on John Moses Brownings 1911?

A hundred years later and it's still the most popular pistol in America.

You may get lighter, or more magazine capacity, but you won't get a more proven design any where for any price.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 04:06:30 AM »
Bisquits:  get the Springfield and then later on get a 10mm slide and barrel for it and you can have two in one.  Mikey.

Offline southern utah

• Contributor
    • http://www.jsi-guns-hunting-firearms.com
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 01:16:19 PM »
Ckeck out the Springfield loaded model. not much more than standard

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 03:14:28 PM »
I'm with Bearfat on this one.  Get the 1911, but get it in 10mm.  I flat love my Colt Delta, blued model. 

The best of both  worlds, in my opinion.

Greeenriver
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives