Author Topic: please read need advice ASAP  (Read 2057 times)

Offline DEPUTY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
please read need advice ASAP
« on: November 24, 2002, 02:21:57 PM »
first off sorry to here! about this !  as the old saying goes bad people do bad things to good people!  if she is well versed in firearms, pistols long guns  etc. a semi auto is a good choice for increased round count! and ease of reloading! but if she likes the wheel gun and is good with it fine by me! a smith or rugeror taurus! are fine choices! she what fits her best!  a smith j frame might be great to hide but after how is her accuracy with it!  i would think a smith 3 inch model 63 or similiar! the 44spl might be a bit much as far as blast and noise! i teach on average of 5 female shooters per class!  avg 3 classes a month! and have seen many start to suffer from accuracy troubles with the little airweight guns and develop a flinch ! now i hand them a sig or glock and they are right back in the game again!  point is find what she is cozy with!  go to a local range and rent a few guns she can try ! and let her decide not the range people or any macho gun range commandos!  get some new locks  for added protection!  and maybe a motion light or 2 for the house! be safe

Offline KING

• A Real Regular
need advice asap
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2002, 05:04:07 PM »
Glad to heare everything turned up ok..it sounds like the altercation occured when she was inside of the residence...there is one and only one weapon of choice for that type of game...and its not a handgun...a S/S short shotgun,18.5 inch bbl,is the only winner in that game...load it with no. 4 birdshot and it will do everything she will want it to do...will totally punch the perps ticket,and wont go through  any walls to get the kids if they in bed..at close range..0 to 25 feet is a good range for that..does not take any lessons except how to load,and to point...a 12 or 20 is great...i have seen it settle a lot of unexpected encounters of the personal kinds...by the way...what happened to da bad guy.....
THE ONLY FEMALE THAT I TRUST IS A LABRADOR.......AND SHE DONT SNOORE,AND DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT MY COOKING...THE ONLY GODS THAT EXIST ARE THOSE THAT HAVE ONE IN THE CHAMBER,AND 19 IN THE MAG.......

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2002, 05:04:12 PM »
Mrs. GB shoots my Glocks better than she does her revolver or mine. Seems to fit her hands and style better I guess.

Sorry to hear of the need for your wife to defend herself but am glad it came out well for her. Just one more instance to prove 911 ain't no good in a real emergency.

The Taurus 627 Ti is about the most easily controlled .357 mag I've ever shot for it's size and weight. A tad big for concealment on the body of a small woman but sure light enough for the task. I sure like mine.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Grinder

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2002, 08:52:43 PM »
Ruger SP101 in .357 Mag with the 2 1/2" or so barrel.  My wife liked her Taurus Millennium in 40 S&W until she handled the SP101 this summer.  Made me buy it for her on the spot.  

She really liked it until she shot it (I threw a couple of hot 357 loads in there on her  :twisted: ).  Once I put her back on a diet of 38 Special +P's she came back around.  Very concealable and just about right for small hands.

The only reason I would get a 357 over the 38 is to be able to shoot two kinds of ammo in the gun.  Otherwise I would just get a 38.
NRA Life Member

Offline Charlie Detroit

• Contributor
Here's 2ยข more...
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2002, 03:46:24 AM »
I gotta pretty much agree with what's been said...ultimate choice of course depends on what fits her and how she shoots it. Most of all, I agree, that in close quarters, inside or outside, the short-barrelled shotgun is absolute tops. If she can handle it without the shoulder component of the stock, so much the better. I've even seen guys carry these concealed under a topcoat in the city, and I sure wouldn't want to offend one of 'em. This is done with a loop of leather from the buttstock around the shoulder, under the coat. If you practice, it's really fast, and very intimidating.
I ain't paranoid but every so often, I spin around real quick.--just in case
Sometimes I have a gun in my hand when I spin around.--just in case
I ain't paranoid, but sometimes I shoot when I spin around.--just in case

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2002, 05:38:02 AM »
well king is almost right! yes a shotgun is great for the house if it is quick to get too! but from what i get! this happened outside the safe room!  and she wants portable! also the 4#birdshot will go through wallboard! i have a nice picture from a house shooting we looked into and the shot of 12 gauge number 7 1/2 load went through a bedroom wall near the door jamb and eended up in the linen closet! killing some poor bed sheets and towels!  i have tested many loads in the house and there is no true wont penetrate load! it depends on the gauge load and the walls whats behind them!  do this build some half walls with drywall and 2x4s stuff with insulation and try it! YOU WILL BE SUPRISED! now remember most interior rooms have no insulation behind them! but yes a shogun is great in the house but when sitting watching t.v a handgun is a better choice! remember the old saying you need thecalvary to get to the artillery! aka portable and fast into action until you can get to tthe heavy guns!

Offline shooter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
my 2 cets
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2002, 11:37:47 PM »
I'd lean towards a Glock model 26 with +p 9mm round or a model 27 with winchester silvertip or Feredal Hydrashok.Both these guns are tiny but pack a wallop and are easy to shoot and even easier to maintain.I've owned both,i now currently own a Glock mod 36 in 45 cal,it is also easy to shoot.I installed a sprinco recoil reducer spring and have a Ashley trituim ghost ring for a front sight and just the standard vertical white bar on the back sight...This baby throws the lead where i point that big dot !!
                                                                                      Shooter :biggun:
Shooter

Offline I am CAL.........

• Avid Poster
Wife attacker
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2002, 01:05:06 PM »
Snakeowner, I hope you know that the intruder just didn't happen by your house? It would be my guess that he had been watching your house waiting for the correct time to do what he tried! He will most probably try it again if he could get the chance.Please don't let me be right.A twenty two auto might be a good defense gun.I have been shot with one and I can assure anyone that once is ENOUGH.Don't let anyone ever tell you that it is not a lethal weapon and has no stopping power.Most of us can stand one wasp sting but nobody can stand a swarm of them if you get my drift! I am glad things turned out as good as they did and I wish you and the Mrs. good luck.I hope some of my thoughts have been some help.I am CAL..... :-)

Offline mikepow

wife house gun
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2002, 08:50:34 AM »
:biggun: I have a S/W 2" 38 spl for the wife in the bedroom and she is a real good shot with a hand gun But I also keep at her request  a Mos. pistol grip cruser 12 ga. no matter what the situation   its going to do the job. She is 5' nuthing and can handle it no prob. with # 4 . I will get there attention.

just my thoughts.

mikepow

Offline leadbutt

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2002, 12:16:20 PM »
Snake,tell the wife way to go and pat the dogs for me,have seen to many hurt over the years that wouldn't / couldn't fight back.
I take it that its just you and the misses,no crumb snacthers? The shotgun is great for defending agaisnt the known threat,it doesn't matter what shot size you use,at bedroom distance it doesn't open up much any way. I have found and use the following set up for the wife, shotgun in the bedroom/ hard room it stands in the safe next to a Rugger 9mm carbine,
through out the house are three 9mm pistols that are place inside nice looking photos of the family.no one knows they are their except me and mine.
"Just another day in Oz"