Author Topic: Really cool hunting gadget  (Read 453 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Really cool hunting gadget
« on: September 28, 2006, 12:17:43 PM »
I always carry a butane lighter when I got hunting, fishing or camping and have used the Bic lighters for many years (since I switched from matches).  The only thing I haven't liked about them is that they are very sensitive to wind and they can be hard to light.

A cigar-smoker friend showed me what absolutely has to be the world's greatest lighter. It's made by Colibri and costs about $15. A lot of sporting goods stores sell them identified as wind-proof lighters. I always wondered why anyone would pay that much for a lighter, but now I know.

It's like a little cutting torch. It always lights on the first click. You can be standing in a 30mph wind and it still produces enough flame. I use them for fishing to tie a "knot" called a twist-melt where you twist nylon-coated leader wire back on itself to form a loop. Doing this is usually in windy conditions and has been difficult to do in the past. Now just one click in any wind condition gets it done.

It's an awesome tool. You need to buy a cannister of fuel to re-fill it. That's about another $4 or $5.

The one I got for myself is hunter orange and, lo and behold, I got it at Gander Mountain.
Safety first

Offline DWTim

• Contributor
Re: Really cool hunting gadget
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 01:50:53 PM »
All I know is that I miss my Zippo. Maybe I should have bought it in safety orange too, because mine was camo, and I probably dropped it in the woods somewhere...

I've had the cheaper variations of those pressure lighters. They ran out too fast for my taste. However, the somewhat larger mini-torches are handy if you use blue lock-tite on your guns or scope mounts. You can snug up the screws nice and tight, and when you want to loosen them up, you just hit the screw with the flame for a second or two.

Offline rockbilly

Re: Really cool hunting gadget
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 05:45:39 AM »
A Colibri lighter is a part of my outdoor gear.  I also carry a zip lock bag full of lint removed from the lint trap on the clothed dryer, it is great for starting fires.