Author Topic: 1st deer of the season.  (Read 616 times)

Offline WylieKy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
1st deer of the season.
« on: September 06, 2006, 05:50:30 AM »
I took my first deer with a bow (excluding x-bow) Friday, Sept 1 around 7pm.  He was a cowhorn (spikes about 11 in).  It was the longest I have ever watched a deer.  He came in at the bottom of a clear cut and took about an hour and a half to make the 120 yards to a shooting lane with a broad side shot.  He went in and out of brush, browsing the entire way and would have been dead 100 times over if I had my 25-06.  He would take a few steps, chew a while, then take a few more steps.  Nervewracking in the extreme, and entirely enjoyable.  I took him with a high double lung shot (I overestimated the angle of the shot, I was thinking the exit would be lower).  He went about 60 yards.  I can't wait to get him on my grill.  It was one of the best hunts of my life.

Monday morning, I went back to the same stand and had another awesome experience.  It was very foggy and a little warm, so I took my time getting to my stand (if I don't my glasses stay steamed up and I have to hunt without them.)  When I was about 30 yards from my stand, I could smell deer.  I stopped, and waited.  I could finially hear them moving, so I slowly sat down and waited the hour or so until there was enough light to see my pin. By that time the deer had moved on, but I did not get busted, and it was neat to stalk that close to deer and listen to them working.  There were at least 3, and I think that is going to be a HOT stand this year. 

WylieKy
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline TCBrian

• Avid Poster
Re: 1st deer of the season.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 05:59:09 AM »
Congratulations,
My bow season has been open, but I am in the process of moving, so I haven't been out yet. That should be some great venison of the grill. Good job with the patience too, that is the hardest thing to do when you have to sit still that long waiting for one to come in. So many things go through your mind.  Good job.

later,
Brian

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 10:21:29 AM »
Congats. to you WylieKy. I enjoyed reading your succes story. I'll never forget the first one I killed with a bow. I took my very first deer ever with a shotgun then I took probably 5 or 6 more with different firearms until my first bow kill. The first bow kill is my most rememberable one, I still have the arrow with the date on it along with the words "my first one". 

Offline .308sniper

• Contributor
  • happiness is a steaming gut pile.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 12:34:59 PM »
Nice! Sounds like a good deer! Did you take any pics?
have fun! get it done with a 308.

Offline 7x57

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 09:03:38 AM »
Congrats, its always good to hear that one of the brotherhood has had some success. It makes me hungy to try bow hunting so thanks... and good eating.
Get as close as you can, then get ten yards closer.

Offline huntmdown

• Huntmdown
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 09:42:45 AM »
Congrats WylieKy got any pix's
my sweeter insanity... www.huntmdown.com