Author Topic: Must read books...  (Read 537 times)

Offline mmwb

• Trade Count: (0)
Must read books...
« on: March 20, 2007, 04:33:54 PM »
I've long considered the responsibility I have to defend myself and others.  Figure on getting a permit and weapon for that specific purpose this summer.    I try to be well informed and am thinking about Ayoob's: Armed and Alive, as well as Ayoob files-The Book.    Can any of you recommend these?   What are some other good reads that will educate me about the pros of various weapons, legal issues, and methods of proper use in a defense situation?   

Offline mjh

• Avid Poster
Re: Must read books...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 10:01:20 AM »
I am far from being an expert in this area and have heard of Ayoob's work but have not read his material.  Below are two books that were useful to me as I have come to the realiztion that I need to be able to defend myself and family.

Handguns and Self Defence "Life Without Fear"  by Mike Dalton and Mickey Fowler  1983  a bit dated but I found the information useful

The Handgun in Personal Defense by R.K. Campbell   I liked his review of various handguns it help as a starting point

Both books were lacking in real legal informaton.  You could easly research the laws and regulation about CCW and use of deadly force in your state.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 11:25:41 AM »
Ayoob's books are worth reading.  He provides actual situations and outcomes that make you think seriously about your responsibilities.  He also cites actual court cases he has been involved with or has assisted and that information is very valuable.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 02:33:21 PM »
Another book by Ayoob I recommend is "The Truth About Self-Defense", its a real eye opener, especially the first chapter.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 04:44:21 AM »
Not to mention Ayoob's classic, "In The Gravest Extreme".  I been to hiis LFI Institute twice and it's really worth the money.  Also, Jeff Cooper wrote a small book that I can't remember the title of that, as I recall, was also pretty good.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!