Author Topic: "Return to Zero...yeah, right" or "Here's one  (Read 718 times)

Offline pjh421

• Trade Count: (0)
"Return to Zero...yeah, right" or "Here's one
« on: May 03, 2003, 04:38:37 PM »
Hello Everybody,

Pardon me if this topic has been broached before, but what are some of the techniques in use that allow you to use a swage die and punch set, then change tooling, perform that operation and then eventually resume the original operation (lets call it core seating) in such a manner as to produce cores seated the same as the first batch.  No fair saying something like, "Use your lock rings.", because the FPH never screws-in to the same depth twice.

I use the trial and error method (and yes, my lock rings are present or accounted for), although I do have a tool holder with a dial indicator mounted and in contact with the top surface of my floating punch holder in order to dial in a similar floating punch protrusion into the die.

I secretly lust after a dedicated S press for each operation of my RBTO-4 set in order to minimize variation between lots of bullets.  WOW, would that be expensive (but almost worth it).

Paul

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
"Return to Zero...yeah, right" or
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2003, 05:36:40 AM »
Paul, like you I gave up on the lock-ring solution. Yes, I use the lock rings as an aproximate position finder when I first remove a punch holder and then replace it later on. However, when I'm making cores, I always reset the holder by using a scale to weigh the 'test' cores until I'm back to the core weight of the batch I'm duplicating. The good-'ol trial and test method. I also use a bunch of mity mite and CSP-I presses to minimise removing the punch/die holder to start with. The same process is used for the CS and PF swaging work, except you you 'feel' on the CS operation, and 'sight' for the PF work. Still, minescule adjustment of the punch holder after chacing down to the lock rings has to be done in all re-sets. In any case, it pays to have at least 6 punch holders w/lock rings as even if the system isn't perfect, it's preferable over having only one holder. 8)