Author Topic: Mounting scopes squarely  (Read 494 times)

Offline memyselfni

• Trade Count: (0)
Mounting scopes squarely
« on: October 01, 2006, 03:04:46 PM »
hi i have a vxIII 2.5-8x36 on my ruger mk1 ultralight .308, i am having trouble mounting the scope totally square with the bore, what is the best way to do this? as i have been told that it can affect poi at longer ranges, any help would be appreciated, also is this scope likely to keep the same poi thru the power range? thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give

Gary
Tikka t3 lite .270 WSM leupold 2.5-8x36 VXIII
Ruger Ultralight MKI .308 Leupold m8 4x
Beretta Xtrema II 12g
Zastava Mini Mauser .223 Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40
Marlin .22lr 794 4x Bushnell
NEF 17 HMR Tasco world class 2.5-10x40

Offline Val

• A Real Regular
Re: Mounting scopes squarely
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 03:01:58 AM »
Assuming that the scope mount screws are drilled square, I think the scope base you use is the key to a square mounting. For instance, the Leupold standard scope base has the Az adjustment on the rear ring mount. This would be more difficult to have absolutely square. However, there's nothing wrong with this mount, I use them on several of my rifles with good results. The elevation and windage adjustment on the scope allows you to zero the scope to make up for small problems in the mount. For hunting purposes this works just fine. The Warne single piece base with the insert rings will probably mount more square (assuming the holes are drilled square). I use these mounts on my higher recoil rifles. I don't thing you will note a POI difference in the magnifiaction range with a good quality scope. Once again, this is for hunting rifles not bench rest target shooting.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Offline Dave in WV

Re: Mounting scopes squarely
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 12:18:21 PM »
Check out Midway USA online. Go to optics, then scope mounting tools, then scope levelers. I use a plumb bob and get my rifles plumb in my rifle vice and align the verticle crosshair with the plumb bob line. A heavy black boot lace with a weight makes a good plumb bob for the job.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein