Author Topic: 45 Colt Question  (Read 1279 times)

Offline MattC

• Trade Count: (0)
45 Colt Question
« on: November 12, 2006, 11:56:04 AM »
I want to order another mold this one based on best accuracy for my bisley.  If I want to shoot 1-inch groups at 25 yards and bust rocks at 100 yards?  From reading posts I think the 280 is the way to go is that in a LFN or WFN or WLN profile?  I want a mild load to shoot 100 or so at a time liked 1100 fps or so. 

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
Re: 45 Colt Question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 01:16:11 PM »
  You didn't mention caliber, but if a 44 280 gr will make you happiest so far as recoil, 300 for accuracy.  Up the weight 20 grains if talking about a 45 caliber.  In both cases, the LFN will be a bit the most accurate, and I don't believe recoil will be a problem with only 1100 fps.  At full throttle, which is 1450 with the 300 gr 44, the gun will jump hard and tire you out pretty quick.  That's power that's nice to have on tap should you want to hunt something big, but for 100 yard shooting even 900 fps will supprise you.  So I'm recommending that you get a fairly heavy bullet, for your purposes, and load down till recoil is pleasant, which will bring muzzle blast down with it, and blast is the most tiresome for me, even with heavy muffs on.
Veral Smith

Offline MattC

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 02:33:41 PM »
I forgot to say this was for 45 Colt.  I already have a 325 wfn you cut me last year.  I was thinking of an easier recoiling alternative.  If I order one in 260 wfn or lfn which one would be in general more accurate, the wfn as it has more bearing surface?  Also in the lighter weights, does a longer nose still help accuracy in a long cylinder revolver?

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 05:58:22 PM »
  The WFN will win the accuracy rewards in 260 grain, and because the bearing is long, the driving band outside of the case will be held securely in the cylinder throats on takeoff, while also being strong enough to hold the rifling after the jump, especially with moderate to light loads like you intend to shoot most of.

Where you want to play a lot, you'll save considerable time and money by using plain base, and  if the gun is lapped and fitted as I recommend in my literature, you won't know the difference in accuracy between plainbase and GC.  The copper cups will definately improve accuracy if you were speeding them up to 1400 + FPS, but even at that speed, you won't have problems hitting jackrabbits at 100 yard with a plain base.
Veral Smith