Author Topic: Navy corpsman to sing like canary to save his butt  (Read 777 times)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Navy corpsman to sing like canary to save his butt
« on: October 05, 2006, 11:44:13 AM »
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline nabob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Navy corpsman to sing like canary to save his butt
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 02:20:06 PM »
No one likes a snitch.

But if the case against them can't be made any other way, 7 out of 8 is better than 0 out of 8, assuming they did what they are accused of.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 04:10:26 PM »
Having served 24 years active duty in the military it is refreshing to see that there are still individuals with the moral convictions to stand up to, and identify those that commit crimes, especially against humanity.  As I see it, one of the problems with this world today is the fact that too many people have the “nobody likes a snitch” attitude.  That sounds like the mentality of some third world country where the people are intimidated by the thugs and afraid to speak the truth.

During my military career, I worked with everyone to ensure things were accomplished in a straightforward and legal manner.  To do otherwise, and conceal evidence, especially in a criminal case makes you no better than the person that committed the crime.

A military member today should be especially cautious of how he treats the enemy, a prisoner, a civilian, or another military member.  The world is watching, and what you do today may come back to haunt you tomorrow.  This is one reason I am opposed to Bush’s policy on treatment of prisoners, our guys that are captured in the future will be subject to the same manner of treatment, and should expect it if that is the way we treat prisoners.

Offline nabob

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 10:42:38 PM »
"As I see it, one of the problems with this world today is the fact that too many people have the “nobody likes a snitch” attitude.  That sounds like the mentality of some third world country where the people are intimidated by the thugs and afraid to speak the truth."

It is the age-old distaste for someone who not only disassociates himself from his group but actively turns against it. It is pretty natural, I think.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 01:38:06 AM »
I have to wonder though, Did any crime really happen or is this guy hanging his comrades out to dry just to insure that his own neck doesn't end up in the noose.   Don't get me wrong if these men are guilty of the crimes they are charged with they need to be brought to justice. However, I also hope that this is not another case of a traitor lobbing a hand grenade at his own so to speak.

There are way too few facts for me to make any call at this point.  Who was this civilian they are charged with kid napping and murdering?  Did they have reason to believe he was consorting with the enemy?  Are we sure he was who the accusers claim he was? Many of those enemy scum do not wear military uniforms but intentionally dress like civilians.  We are not only fighting a physical war over there we are also fighting a psychological war.  What better way to demean our troops, create animosity between our troops and the American public and to raise the level of hatred between the Iraqis and the Americans than to make our troops out to be cold blooded killers? 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline magooch

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 03:07:36 AM »

A military member today should be especially cautious of how he treats the enemy, a prisoner, a civilian, or another military member.  The world is watching, and what you do today may come back to haunt you tomorrow.  This is one reason I am opposed to Bush’s policy on treatment of prisoners, our guys that are captured in the future will be subject to the same manner of treatment, and should expect it if that is the way we treat prisoners.

[
quote]

I think we should treat the prisoners we take the same way the enemy treats our POWs.  In the case of al Qaeda and other terrorist groups that would pretty much mean we can do anything we want.
Swingem

Offline buffalohunter

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 10:40:00 AM »
He better hope he never goes back in to the field, everybody hates a rat and snitch. It always amazes me how a coward can turn on everybody else to save his own ass. If he came back to my unit he would not last long because I can't imagine who would stick there neck for his. I hope he gets what is coming to him.
DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 02:52:02 PM »
  Don't know thw full situation...Could be thje Corpsman is truthful..could be the whole thing is trumped up and the  mil-authorities know which one is the "weak link" that is wiolling to support a trumped up story ..to save his own keester 

During my time in the military, I have seen justice done.... and undone..

I have seen some troops get "what they deserved...and I have seen guys "thrown to the dogs"..to preserve the peace between military and civilian entities..or an EM railroaded to preserve a Colonel's career..

One thing I do know is that our direct combat troops, especially all Spec Ops and "in the enemy's face" troops like Marines and Airborne, and all that come in face to face conflict with this diabolical enemy ...should be cut a lot of slack; because life and death decisions must be made in split seconds..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 12:02:18 PM »
I think that some fail to understand the relationship of the Navy Corpsman to the Marine squad.  The Marines do not have medics; they use the Navy Corpsman who is not actually considered a combat troop.  Based on what I have read, the medic went along with the explanation of the situation until an investigation proved there was some wrong doing on the part of several members of the squad.  Investigation revealed that several members of the squad pulled the man out of his home, threw him in a ditch and killed him.  Afterwards they placed his hands on a rifle and shovel transferring fingerprints to provide an alibi, and suggest that he was a terrorist.

If this is in fact the truth, then the sailor should be held responsible for not reporting the “murder” immediately, but not for the actual murder.  Reports indicate he had no part in the murder, but did cover it up.  His stating the truth does not, in my opinion, make him a snitch.  He is simply attempting to right a wrong.

If the other troops removed the man from his house and shot him without just cause it is MURDER anyway you slice it.  And they should be dealt with accordingly. 

As for treatment of prisoners, we do not recognize terrorist as members of a foreign army as we would a uniformed unit, therefore the provision of the Geneva Conventions do not totally apply to either side.  Still American fighting men have an image to uphold, that being to conduct war as humanely as possible and ensure fair and equable treatment of all civilians, as well as prisoners.  Our failure to comply with the guidelines of the Geneva Conventions may result in devastating circumstances for captured Americans in future wars.

I served two tours in Viet Nan, and am well aware that even in that war we did not always treat prisoners as they should have been.  But we did attempt to treat the wounded, feed and cloth them as best as we could under the conditions.  This was done in hopes that we would receive the same courtesies in the event we were take prisoner.  That thought should remain with every military member and serve as a reminder that acting in a morally correct and humane manner only serves to strengthen out fighting force.