Author Topic: how do you tell the wife?  (Read 4663 times)

Offline mikedb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: how do you tell the wife?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2007, 06:09:25 PM »
My wife likes to quilt, she has a $2,000 sewing machine and I don't ask what she spends on fabric and she doesn't ask what I spend on guns, even though I tell her.  My pay takes care of  90% of the bills and if I can set aside money for some of my toys it's fine.  Bills get paid first.
We're both happy.

My wife quilts also.  She spends money on fabric, classes, and travelling to shows.  It works out. I did not really get out of control in expanding my collection until we got to the point we have funded our retirement and the kids college.  Now all those years of frugallity are paying off.

Offline BANG_OW

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2007, 02:57:58 PM »
I point out the fact that I don't smoke,gamble, frequent Te Te bars, or run around spending money like a drunken sailor. In fact, I don't do anything other than work,  shoot and buy an occasional gun.
What a bargain I am! I think I'll pick out another gun.....
Don ::)

Offline jkir

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2007, 08:22:25 AM »
My rule is to only buy black, automatic weapons. She has a hard time telling them apart. The bushmaster fits very well into this strategy

Offline Wiking

• Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2007, 10:31:15 AM »
I'm fortunate enough to have a girlfriend who loves guns.

First time I brought her to the range, I stuck my 22 cal lever action in her hands... that was okay she said. ´We then tried my Remington .30.06, she looked scared after i squeezed of a few, told her the recoil was "a bit" more than the .22, but after her first shot she looked at me and said, "Is that it??". Since that day I haven't been able to get the darn thing out of her tight grip. And the handguns? Don't even get me started... She claims she prefers the .357 over the 9... cause "It feels bigger"... ain't she just adorable?!

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2007, 08:07:20 AM »
I have a gently used wife I'm willing to trade you for your girlfriend.  I just sold my savage 12FV to a guy to help pay off her credit card. 

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
A buddy of mine collected Marlins.  Every few months, he'd get another one.  All were blued steel and walnut, all the barrels were about the same length, and none wore scopes.  His wife knew he was nuts about lever guns, but didn't know he had more than one.  Kinda of a shock when he died suddenly, and she found out he had 17 of them! 

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline jwm

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2007, 03:32:42 AM »
"...tell the wife"....what a quaint idea!

Once you pass a certain number of guns in your collection, an extra one is never noticed.  I'm always buying, selling, or trading guns, and my wife is quite accustomed to it.  She never complains, and I don't say a word when she buys something for herself.  Everybody's happy.

She loves the idea that the freezer is full of meat that we didn't have to buy.  She encourages the display of antlers, turkey tails, head mounts, etc.  In fact, I'm taking a trip to Quebec this year for caribou, and when I wondered out loud about getting a bear tag, she reminded me that she still wants a full-body standing bear mount for the rec room.  She agrees with me that some of  my DIY taxidermy projects are beautiful, but some....aren't.  Therefore, if I do the antlers of any caribou I get, the bear, if it happens, will get the professional treatment. 

Yeah, I'm lucky.

John

Offline RDavidP

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2007, 05:49:28 PM »
Let's see.  I make 80% of our total taxable income.  I put out $1000 a month in rent, set aside another $1000 every month since Jan. to go towards buying a house, set aside $500 a month to keep building up emergency money say if the cars break down, vet emergency for the dog.  If the TV breaks, that isn't an emergency.  I buy the groceries, pay all entertainment expenses(movies, dinner....), car insurance, renters insurance, pratically any other expense that unexpectantly pops up, plus my cell phone bill, and credit card. Infact I pay my bills before they even arrive in the mail thanks to internet bill pay.   Basically, if something needs money, it is my paycheck it comes from.  She pays the light bill, phone bill, cable bill, and her cell phone bill, which add up to maybe $300.  If I have any money from my paycheck at the end of the month after all of the above is done, that is my money for me to do whatever the heck I want to do with it.  I don't ask.  I just come home with it, and she'll see me clean it, and ask if it is a new gun.  Last gun I bought was a couple of weeks ago and it is a Rock River AR-15.    She almost soiled herself and had a look of fear and said "You bought one of those guns". I said "Yes I did."  She then got huffy and said that my credit card bill just came.  I then reminded her that I just made a quadruple amount payment two days ago, and I don't have to worry about it until next month.  I am getting the credit card paid off before we buy a house this time next year.  Yes I was not wise with my credit card when I first got it, but I did not get over my head.  I saw I was headed there, stopped and started making huge payments, usually double to triple the minimum amount.  I make the money, I pay for close to almost everything, I get to do whatever I want with whats left over. There are several more rifles I want, but I can't buy anymore because I am out of room.  I figured I might as well buy what I really want now, because once I buy a house, I ain't going to have any leftover money.

Offline Bald Barry

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2007, 10:33:08 AM »
Mike,
A late friend of mine, a retired dentist, used to leave the house with an empty rifle case and come back with a new gun in it.  If his wife asked him about it, he would say "Oh, I have had this old thing forever."  But he had some many guns it filled several large gun safes and money wasn't a problem for them.
But she was no fool.  She probably knew what he was up to but never said anything.  He was a kind man and shooting was his only vice.
Like I tell my wife, when I'm shooting I'm not in taverns or whore houses.
Molon Labe!
Bald Barry

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2007, 04:29:27 AM »
Just bought a 12BVSS and I'm not going to tell my wife.  When she sees it, and she will, I'll just tell her I bought it to replace the rifle I had but sold to help her with her credit card.  That'll put the dear in the headlights look on her face and she'll leave me alone about it.  I make sure she has her toys too, but every once in a while it's fair to say it's your turn.

Offline hobbyist

• Avid Poster
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2007, 04:48:48 PM »
What she won't know won't kill her.  Plus if she ever sees the gun, it is a rifle you have had for a long time. ;)

Offline TIMBERTRAMP

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2007, 12:04:24 AM »
It depends-last summer we had a black bear rip up our bird feeder, so I convinced her that I needed more than a 357mag for a dog walking gun so a s&w 41 cal mtn gun followed me home-you can't expect me to stop a bear with a pee-shooter when its taking pieces   out of our dog-a great Pyrenees.then last week there was a home invasion in the town-i just happen to put a stainless iver johnson m1 carb on hold that i'll e picking up next week for "her hd gun",so what I do is use whats going on to justify new purchases.for example if I tryhunting something different i'll pin a new gin to that -a colt h-bar match=coyote gun,she hasn't caught on yet-keep shooting -tt

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2007, 01:41:57 AM »
she has to find it first ! RIGHT ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2007, 05:01:31 AM »
I can't imagine living in a relationship where I had to hide what I bought.  The closest my wife has ever come to saying something was when I came home with a new prize and her only comment then was "That has to be the ugliest gun you own."  Then again, when it came time for her to get a new sewing machine I talked her into the model with all the bells and whistles when she wanted to get the lesser model. 

I always tell her that it's a proven fact that I have the better taste because after all I chose her and look at what a miserable choice she made. :-*  Try it!  Some of you guys might be allowed to go out and buy another gun without hiding it. ;)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2007, 05:06:17 AM »
don't get nervous , it was a joke !

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2007, 05:15:56 AM »
SHOOTALL; the world doesn't revolve around you alone.  As a matter of fact, I didn't even read your comment before posting.  My comments are to anyone who feels they have to decieve to get by.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2007, 06:51:59 AM »
Revolve around me  ! hell I'm just happy to hang on !

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2007, 06:55:38 AM »
Revolve around me  ! hell I'm just happy to hang on !

Now that's funny ;D and something I can really relate to. :D