Author Topic: 629M Mountain Gun and lead fouling (2 Q's in one post)  (Read 733 times)

Offline Litefoot

• Trade Count: (0)
629M Mountain Gun and lead fouling (2 Q's in one post)
« on: April 14, 2003, 03:53:05 PM »
Saw a 629-3 (Firing pin on hammer) Mount. Gun in a pawn shop that is in excellent condition for $450. Has original box and papers. Wadya think about the price?

On a completely different note, can you shoot hard cast lead bullets in a revolver without worrying about lead buildup? Do they create less (or more) problems than a non-jacketed soft points? Probably a dumb question,, but I gotta know.
"Other evils there are that may come...Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know..."-Aragorn, King Elessar

Offline jhm

629M Mountain Gun and lead fouling (2 Q's i
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 04:18:58 PM »
Litefoot:  95% is $310 blue book,  the pawn shop probably dont have much over $125 on the loan so those figures should give you something to work with, good luck, and as far as the leading problem goes I dont shoot lead so I cant help you but there are others that will be much more than glad too, :D   JIM

Offline Litefoot

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 06:14:39 PM »
Thanks jhm! That helps a bunch. Much appreciated. Looks like I was about to pay more than I should have.
"Other evils there are that may come...Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know..."-Aragorn, King Elessar

Offline Majic

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 06:46:14 PM »
If the cast bullet is sized correctly for your bore then leading shouldn't be a problem for the speeds a handgun generates.  Cast bullets designed for gas checks allow you to increase the speed even more.

Offline Questor

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2003, 07:05:07 AM »
About the lead bullets: it depends entirely on what velocity you are shooting them at.  Assuming that you will be shooting commercially "hard cast" bullets, they will work without much fouling if you keep the velocity to about 800fps, or between about 1200fps and 1400fps. If the velocity is in between that window, or over 1400fps, you can expect fouling (depending on your gun).  

If you cast your own bullets and cast them softer (like with Lyman #2 metal), you can shoot within the 900-1100fps window without leading.

If your gun was made during the last 30 years or so, and is of a decent manufacturer,  I don't think you need to worry about bore size vis a vis bullet diameter.  They are so uniform in modern guns and bullets that you just don't need to worry about it.
Safety first

Offline Alice Cooper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 07:24:25 AM »
i shoot home cast 38 specials in a blackhawk and a 3 inch smith.the blackhawk leads , the smith doesn't. go figure...
don't fry bacon naked!