Author Topic: 12 ga turkey barrel questions  (Read 828 times)

Offline Critter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
12 ga turkey barrel questions
« on: October 06, 2006, 01:35:37 PM »
I'm a bit confused, ya ya I know whats new right ::) ;D

In the barrel program it lists the turkey barrels as having screw in chokes, which is great casue thats what I want.  However when I looked at the firearms themselves they don't show them as having screw in tubes.  I know I can call costumer service and ask but that's clear until monday and I wondered if anybody hear knows for sure.  Thanks!

BTW I'm planning on buying the .500 S&W Handi and having the turkey barrel fitted cause we're looking at trying to do a combo turkey/hog hunt next spring and I thought it would be cool to only take one gun. 

Offline lotus

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: 12 ga turkey barrel questions
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 02:30:15 PM »
The current 12ga turkey guns with the black stock have screw in chokes, while the one with the camo stock is a fixed full choke.

http://hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerTurkey.aspx

Here's a pic of mine.  The black paint on the stocks chips off rather quickly so I sanded and refinished it last year.  Great handling little gun.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 01:56:20 AM »
I have one of the limited turkey guns they made on the BC style.
With Walnut stocks and a long barrel. Long Tom or maybe Turkey Classic I think it was called. It has a 3.5" chamber and screw in chokes.

They are the same as Browning chokes BTW.

NICE gun, I really like it and haven't seen anyone else with one!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 03:54:35 AM »
I have one of the limited turkey guns they made on the BC style.
With Walnut stocks and a long barrel. Long Tom or maybe Turkey Classic I think it was called. It has a 3.5" chamber and screw in chokes.

They are the same as Browning chokes BTW.

NICE gun, I really like it and haven't seen anyone else with one!!

CW

CW,

Just when I thought I knew everything, you show me this. :-[  ;D You wouldn't be pulling our leg, would ya? ??? Sure looks sweet though. :)

Critter,

There is no rhyme or reason to the barrels on the turkey guns. You would think the camo one would have screw in chokes. ??? If you are ordering a barrel, you can get any one you want anyways.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 06:20:47 AM »
This is the way I bought it Busta, If someone has been duped it was me first cause I bought it!! :D ;)

Its definately an older model as the forend screw is a slot and a different thread than current models. Curved steel butt and plastic trigger guard. I have the H&R choke but it patterns better with this Browning superfull one.

Here is some more pics.

Maybe someone else KNOWS FOR SURE???

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 07:36:40 AM »
CW,

I would say you have a Heinz 57 there. You have an older H&R frame & BC Stocks with a NEF Pardner barrel. Hard telling what the second letter in your serial # is, or is that a 1. The hammer looks to be one of the newer high style with the transfer bar??? If that is an original, I'll eat my hat. ;D Not exactly sure what year NEF started offering the 3-1/2" with choke tubes, but am guessing it was afer that H&R frame was made. ;) Regardless, you have a very nice looking piece there, and probably a "one of a kind".
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 08:09:39 AM »
There is no rhyme or reason to the barrels on the turkey guns. You would think the camo one would have screw in chokes. 
Ya I agree.  I bought one of the camo models from Hunters Haven and never thought for a minute about it not having choke tubes.  Luckily I was able to return it.  That was several years ago, you would think they would have fixed that by now.

Thanks for the info guys.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 11:25:01 AM »
There is no rhyme or reason to the barrels on the turkey guns. You would think the camo one would have screw in chokes. 
Ya I agree.  I bought one of the camo models from Hunters Haven and never thought for a minute about it not having choke tubes.  Luckily I was able to return it.  That was several years ago, you would think they would have fixed that by now.

Thanks for the info guys.

BTW, So sorry for the hijack and thanks for the ride.... ::) ;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 12:38:48 PM »
No problem at all CW.  I enjoyed seeing your "long tom".  Even if it is a Hienz 57 it's a great gun. ;D

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 04:24:09 PM »
Critter,

How many H&R/NEF's does Hunters Haven stock down there? I try to stop in there if they are open when I go down to Bob's. Haven't been in there in a couple years though. :(
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 05:14:20 AM »
Busta,
They aren't in business anymore. :(  They had several in stock over the years. When I worked there in the "gun department" they had two Rocky Mountian Elk Foundation rifles, a youth in .243 and a full size in .270(I think).  They always had a few regular shotguns on hand, youth .410s and 20s, Tracker IIs and Turkey guns in season.

They stocked the Rossi guns too, about $25 cheaper than the Pardner shotguns and we couldn't sell em. People always wanted the NEF/H&R, American made, had one when I was a kid etc.

Where do you live anyway?  We might have to get together for a hunt of somekind sometime.

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 02:00:23 AM »
Busta,
They aren't in business anymore. :(  They had several in stock over the years. When I worked there in the "gun department" they had two Rocky Mountian Elk Foundation rifles, a youth in .243 and a full size in .270(I think).  They always had a few regular shotguns on hand, youth .410s and 20s, Tracker IIs and Turkey guns in season.

They stocked the Rossi guns too, about $25 cheaper than the Pardner shotguns and we couldn't sell em. People always wanted the NEF/H&R, American made, had one when I was a kid etc.

Where do you live anyway?  We might have to get together for a hunt of somekind sometime.

Speaking of Rossi. I noticed K-Mart carries Rossi now and NO NEF`s. I don`t know when the changeover was, but K-Mart use to sell a ton of NEF`s, especially the Pardner shotguns. That is a shame they changed like that. Jack.