Author Topic: new 45-70  (Read 526 times)

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
new 45-70
« on: October 07, 2006, 03:44:32 AM »
My new 45-70 came in 2 weeks ago and I love it.I first started shooting it with Rem. 300grn hp's and they would shoot clover leaves at 50 yds.Decided to try handloading and loaded a hornady 350 grn  RN over 56 grns of 3031 ,same result. A realy excellent shooter. Now my question is . Have any of you guys tried hard cast bullets  such as Laser Cast and how did they work? They look like a real good bullet but I realy don't want to deal with a lot of lead fowelling in the bore.  How heavy can they be loaded before foweling becomes a problem.
 I bought some ammo by BULLSEYE , with a 405 grn cast bullet and want to give them a try.The price was right and I wanted some new brass. Any way  this is what got me thinking about using cast bullets and they seem to be pretty economical to .
 Ialso just finished mounting a 3x-9x scope on it and can 't wait to get out to the range tomorrow,I want to sight it in at 125 yds.with the 350 grn hornadys .
 P S   It has an ejector
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline rk4570

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: new 45-70
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 05:06:31 AM »
I am an old time BP shooter & thinking of getting a 45-70 for elk hunting. Black Powder & cast bullets of course.

What model did you get?  I was thinking of the older model H&R trapdoor if I can find one.
The Buffalo Classic has a 32" barrel which is a little long for hunting.
All of these rifles are a little lite so how is the recoil ?? Not a big prob for hunting but not much fun off the bench. What type of rifles are you shooting for hunting?
All of my 45-70 shooting has been with BP & 500gr.+ cast bullets with rifles in the 10 to 12 lb range so the smokeless would  be something new for me if I go that route.

Thanks for you help!!............. 8)
I spent a lot of money on Guns, Wild Horses & Wilder Women but I guess I just wasted all the rest!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 05:26:19 AM »
As long as you keep the velocity down, proper sized cast bullets shoots real well without any lead fouling problems, but push em too fast and you're gonna want gas checks. I've shot a ton of gas checked smokeless loads in my .45-120 BC with no problems, I did shoot some T7 with 500gr cast bullets, they leaded the barrel real bad.

I would recommend you slug the bore to see what size bullets you need, most use .459" or .460", but slugging wiill save you some time and money, I've seen a couple barrels reported here that had inconsistent bore diameters that were too open at the muzzle and didn't shoot well, but most shoot excellent. Bernie(Dodd3) shoots cast bullets in his BC to 800yds, and dang well!! ;)

Recoil from the bench will be a non-issue with a little pre-emptive planning, some weight in the stock bolt hole and a Limbsaver small grind-to-fit or slip on pad and you're good to go.

Tim

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/1871.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cpj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 06:03:00 AM »
I cast my own bullets for my 45-70, and I dont have much of a leading problem. It does lead up after 30 or so rounds, but it isnt that bad. And I can forgive the leading considering my bullets are basicly FREE. I have cast enough bullets that my mold and pot are paid for. And I get the wheel weight for
free.

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 09:40:12 AM »
 RK 45-70         it's just the standard handi-rifle with the 22 inch barrel .I wanted a wood stock ,but  when it was deliverer to the gun shop it had come with a composit stock  so the shop owner switched the stock with an ultra rifle he had in the rack. The recoil with my handloads is a bit stout but I don't mind it at all. I'm used to heavy recoil from my 58 and 62 cal. muzzleloaders.. The rifles I use for hunting are of course my ML's of which I have cals from 36 to 66  A couple of shotguns including a pardner in 20 ga.which will soon be sportring a new smooth bore slug barrel and a savage 99 in 30-30.  and of course my handi's in 223, 45-70 and a  410-45 survivor.  some how I don't think anything other than the handies will see much use this yr.       I've become a handiholic.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"