Author Topic: reloading 243 win./ lee dies  (Read 515 times)

Offline rp85

• Trade Count: (0)
reloading 243 win./ lee dies
« on: October 07, 2006, 12:11:46 PM »
hello;

there was a trick i had to do when sizing 243 brass for reloading.  had to spin the case @+90 and run the case back into the die.  wrote it off as a problem with the handie  rifle.

just purchased a howa and the same problem was happening, has to spin the case.  purchase another set of sizing dies, hornady/pacific, and the problem went away.  lee has offered to check the sizing die and made needed adjustments. 

so.... if you are having a problem with sicking cases in your handie, might try different sizing dies, if you are using lee dies.  by the was i have 6 different sets of lee dies and never had a problem before.

rp

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: reloading 243 win./ lee dies
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 12:42:05 PM »
hello;

there was a trick i had to do when sizing 243 brass for reloading.  had to spin the case @+90 and run the case back into the die.  wrote it off as a problem with the handie  rifle.

just purchased a howa and the same problem was happening, has to spin the case.  purchase another set of sizing dies, hornady/pacific, and the problem went away.  lee has offered to check the sizing die and made needed adjustments. 

so.... if you are having a problem with sicking cases in your handie, might try different sizing dies, if you are using lee dies.  by the was i have 6 different sets of lee dies and never had a problem before.

rp

Every set of Lee dies I have ever used except the 357 mags did the same thing...Here's a trick you can use with them if you don't want to send them back...Get some teflon tape and wrap around the main threads...and remove the 0-ring type lock ring and get a slplit type ring...ie Hornady or Forester's are good ones...This will help on the alignment and flexing and moving of the die in the press..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 06:28:27 PM »
Intesesting.  I had a set of '06 dies that didn't seem to size right.  Thanks for the tip mac.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 06:46:18 PM »
Intesesting.  I had a set of '06 dies that didn't seem to size right.  Thanks for the tip mac.

Your Welcome..

It won't help if the die is cut wrong to start with...but it definatly will help with the alignment and flexing if they aren't ...Lee's aren't the only dies I have had that were bad from the get go...I've had a few RCBS's and Lyman's...and 1 set of Hornady 45-70's that had to got replaced...All of the companies with the exception of Lyman were easy to get things corrected..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...